Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 04, 2013 09:13 AM

Hi,

We've just done a fairly big upgrade to our wireless infrastructure

1). Upgraded to ArubaOS 6.3.1.1

2). Upgraded Airwave to 7.7.7

3).Migrated Airwave to biger better faster Server hardware

3b). copied accross 

4). Installed additional Local mobiliy controllers ( 2 * 7200 series hardware)

5). Replaced our master controller  aruba0 ( Series 6000) with a Series 720 box runing same OS version

In general everything worked...... except

1). If we look at the airwave entries for aruba0 it still says that its a series 6000 device. How do I persuade it that they're new devices?

2). For one of our local controllers ( aruba2) airwave is convinced that  we've got 460 APs that are down. They'e not because  if you log into aruba2 you can see they're up and have people on them.

Airwave is talking to all our controllers (both  master and local)  via snmp and we have AMON enabled as well. Seems to pick up the APs connected to  our other local controller aruba1 o.k.... just not aruba2

Anything

• 2.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 09:19 AM

Try selecting the controller with the problem and click on "Import Settings" and see if that resolves it.

• 3.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 04, 2013 09:20 AM

Make sure that the snmp information is correct/match on the new controllers and airwave?

• 4.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 09:23 AM

Do you have prefer AMON over SNMP selected in AMP General settings?  If so, try disabling it (i.e - DON'T prefer AMON)

• 5.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 04, 2013 10:44 AM

Yup I did have AMON in preference to SNMP. I've just disabled that. Guess I'll have to wait a while.

Rgds

A

• 6.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 11:33 AM

For the controllers, when aruba0 was replaced, was there any additional interaction in AirWave?

I would have expected the new aruba0 entry to show up in 'new devices'.  From there, the controller would have needed to have been added, then on the original controller's manage pag, use the replace hardware option to join the data set from the previous controller to the new controller.  At that time, the AMP should have updated the controller's type and MAC.  If that isn't the case, then you'll want to open a support case to debug.

• 7.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:31 PM

Problem is that I wsn't involved in the migration, which was done by a 3rd party support engineer so I don't know what hapened at that point.

The other annoying thing is the number of  APs  marked with a status of  "Controller is down" in airwave..... but I can log onto the local controller, see that they're up and even reboot them. However, its not all the APs associated with a particular controller just some of them!

Rgds

A

• 8.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:46 PM

@alexsuoy wrote:

Problem is that I wsn't involved in the migration, which was done by a 3rd party support engineer so I don't know what hapened at that point.

The other annoying thing is the number of  APs  marked with a status of  "Controller is down" in airwave..... but I can log onto the local controller, see that they're up and even reboot them. However, its not all the APs associated with a particular controller just some of them!

Rgds

A

Alexsuoy,

If a 3rd party was involved in the migration, I would get them involved first and ask them what they did so that they can possibly fix what was done.  If that was already done, I would open a case with TAC, because your questions here will not be specific enough for us to solve anything in a comprehensive fashion.  It is tough enough figuring out a problem when speaking to the person that made the changes.  It is much more difficult if the person does not know what changes were made.

You can continue to ask questions here, but if you want it fixed, the above are your best options...

• 9.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:55 PM

Are there other messages in the device event logs?  My guess is that there's probably a crash happenening somewhere in the background (possibly a detected duplicate in database error?).  Check the /var/log/httpd/error_log, /var/log/async_logger_client, and the controller's logs in /var/log/ap/(ap_id of controller).

At this time, AMP is processing client data over AMON (meaning AP data is still processed via SNMP), so the prefer AMON setting shouldn't be an issue.  If you try doing SNMP walks to the controllers from AMP CLI, are they successful in returning data?  It may also be worth it to try doing a tcpdump on SNMP port (initialize the dump, then initiate poll now from controller's monitor page).

• 10.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 05, 2013 05:51 AM

Fixed!!! ...... I think.

I was just trying out snmpwalk from the airwave server cli when I decided to use nslookup to get the IP address of our Mobility Controllers. When I typed in a controller hostname without the domain name  nslookup came back with an NXDOMAIN error.

Looking in /etc/resolv.conf  I found two entries for name servers and that's it. I remember setting up the IP addresses as part of the airwave install but can't remember if I was ever prompted to enter a search domain. Problem was there's a good chance  that on the old airwave server I set up the resolv.conf as a matter of course and promptly forgot about it. Anyway, edited resolv.conf, restarted airwave and by the time it had started and I'd opened a web browser the number of down APs had changed from 461 to 26... and those were all RAPs.

Bit too soon to tell if things are working o.k. Stil running with AMON preference disabled. I'll wait a few days before switching that on.

Happy bunny!

Alex

• 11.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 05, 2013 05:52 AM

o.k. need to check the issue with airwave not recognising a hardware chagne for our master controller, so its partly fixed!

A

• 12.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

Posted Dec 04, 2013 10:04 AM

Yup checked the snmp v3 credentials are the same everywhere.

Thx

• 13.  RE: Issues with Airwave and ArubaOS 63.1.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 09:25 AM

@alexsuoy wrote:

Hi,

We've just done a fairly big upgrade to our wireless infrastructure

1). Upgraded to ArubaOS 6.3.1.1

2). Upgraded Airwave to 7.7.7

3).Migrated Airwave to biger better faster Server hardware

3b). copied accross 

4). Installed additional Local mobiliy controllers ( 2 * 7200 series hardware)

5). Replaced our master controller  aruba0 ( Series 6000) with a Series 720 box runing same OS version

In general everything worked...... except

1). If we look at the airwave entries for aruba0 it still says that its a series 6000 device. How do I persuade it that they're new devices?

2). For one of our local controllers ( aruba2) airwave is convinced that  we've got 460 APs that are down. They'e not because  if you log into aruba2 you can see they're up and have people on them.

Airwave is talking to all our controllers (both  master and local)  via snmp and we have AMON enabled as well. Seems to pick up the APs connected to  our other local controller aruba1 o.k.... just not aruba2

Anything

Okay.  Here is what I forgot to mention:

When you replace an entire controller, if Airwave senses that you have a different physical device at the same ip address, it will stop collecting information for that device until you click on the Manage Tab for that device and click on "Replace Device".  Go to the device and click on the Manage Tab and see if you have the Replace Device notification....

replace.PNG