Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

Posted Jun 01, 2017 04:58 AM

I have to run Aruba Airewave on a VM and the requirement is to primarily support over 1000 Aruba APs.

What are the licenses that I need to purchase?

From the datasheet http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AW.pdf appears there's only one license and are named as "Device Failover licenses" and little confused on the purpose of this licenses due the name it carries(Device Failover).

Is it just synonymous to the device count that I need to support?

Can the licenses be purchased in any combination or I need to purchase it in from the available combinations only?

eg:

JW563AAE  Aruba AW-1000-FR 1000 AirWave Device Failover License E-LTU
    JW564AAE  Aruba AW-2500-FR 2500 AirWave Device Failover License E-LTU

Also the Airewave that I am going to have will be in Active-Standby scenario. Can I run half the licenses on active and remaining half on standby or should the licenses be on the active only?

• 2.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2017 05:37 AM

Hi Adnan,

Failover license would be different from the primary license. License is the one which tells what the server role should be(whether it has to be primary or failover).

License on primary is based on the device count. The best way would be to get in contact with your accounts or sales team so that they can guide you and suggest the right amount of license.

• 3.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

Posted Jun 01, 2017 05:46 AM

Hi Vishnu,

Thanks for prompt response.

I could not find an consolidated documentation from Aruba which can brief us on the licensing options/types of licenses for Airewave. Even the datasheet just has the mention on Failover licenses.

Please let me know if you could find something that give the complete information on licenses part.

• 4.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2017 06:12 AM

Currently there is no document specific to the license. However, you can always call the Aruba welcome centre or contact your Aruba sales team to get your queries on license cleared. They should be able to navigate through the right license needed for your server.

• 5.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

Posted Jun 02, 2017 02:26 AM

There has to be an documentary evidence for any technical proposal that partners make.

Licensing is the crucial part and hence there would/should be an documentation related to it.

And the info that I am trying to seek is the basic one, was of the opinion of someone from Airheads would be able to address the basic concerns.

• 6.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 05:38 AM

Hi Adnan,

As mentioned before please contact your sales or call up the aruba support. They will be able to explain you more on the license and the best license for your enviroment.

Currently the document which we have online is the same which you mentioned in the above thread.

• 7.  RE: Licensing for Aruba Airewave on an VM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 10:05 AM

Engineering and Support are usually not in the loop for licensing SKUs.  If you're a partner, I believe there is some additional data sheets in the partner portal.

As far as AirWave is designed, it's 1 license per device monitored/managed.  The SKUs are probably bundled in bulk, so for 1000 APs, you'd need at least a 1000 device AMP license.  Keep in mind that the device count is for APs, controllers, and switches.

Failover for AirWave is a redundancy system where if the primary AirWave server fails, a secondary server called the Failover would take over monitoring/managing your devices.  The Failover license behaves just like the AMP license where it's device limited.  The device count for a Failover license should match that of the AirWave server.  In the case of having multiple AirWave servers, then it should match the highest capacity AirWave server license so that it could act as Failover to all AirWave servers.