Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Location Accuracy Airwave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Location Accuracy Airwave

Posted Jun 18, 2014 09:56 PM

Hello

As far im reading for a good localization 3 APS must see the client

But that make me think that  if one AP is serving a specific client, and there are 2 more APs near, they are serving clients in Other channels which means that it should not see the first client of the first AP.

As far i remenber the AP even if its serving clients it goes out of his channel to check other channels, so the 2 APs that are serving on other channel should see the  client on  which on the other AP

For example

AP 1 got one client ( client Z)which is on channel 36

AP 2 is on channel 40

AP 3 is on channel 44

By now just AP 1 can see client Z

but when the AP 2 goes out of the channel 40 it start looking to see what he can see on other channel but just for a momment which is really fast...

Now that makes me wonder about the accuricity doing that?

It is much better having one AP on Air monitor for example

AP 1 got one client ( client Z)which is on channel 36

AP 2 is on channel 40

AP 3 is on channel 44

AP 4 is on air monitor

Will having the AP 4 in air monitor that can also see the client Z on channel 36 is much better choice for accuracity of the location?

When you really need the client location to be really good it is recommended having an ap as air monitor? or this wont help to make it more accurate?

Anyone ? :)  Rob? :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Location Accuracy Airwave

Posted Jun 19, 2014 12:29 PM

I'm sure that dedicating an AM every so often will certainly improve accuracy and IDS functionality.

I'm also pleased to report that the accuracy is high enough, that our technicians occasionally call me to see where they left the bar-code scanner, or portable printer.

The real requirement for accuracy is density - whether AP or AM or some combination of both. We have floorplans in the 100K-150K square feet range and have 12-15 iAP105 for that area, we get a 7x7 gridsize in Airwave and are pretty happy with accuracy.

I also have a yard in the quarter-mile-on-a-side range with 50x50 gridsize and 8 AP60 with somewhat poorer accuracy (terrible)

• 3.  RE: Location Accuracy Airwave

Posted Jun 19, 2014 10:11 PM

Are you using air monitors? or you got APs on normal mode?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Location Accuracy Airwave

Posted Jun 20, 2014 11:52 AM

I suppose I could have been clearer, couldn't I ;)

We have all access points in "normal" mode.

• 5.  RE: Location Accuracy Airwave

Posted Jun 20, 2014 11:54 AM

haha

Thanks

Cheers

Carlos