Network Management

Frequent Contributor I

Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Hello,

We have about 135 connected users currently using the APs on our network.   It shows 135 connected devices under clients.   Likewise if I connect to the AP cluster directly on the home page it shows the same number.   When I click on Visual RF it shows my 10 APs.but it only shows about 6 connected clients.

I'm running 8.0.9.1 and have 16GB of memory dedicated to the VM which has a disk size of 127GB.

I'm new to Alcatel wireless and I've never tried OV before.

Guru Elite

Re: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

On the VisualRF page, instead of Maps, click on List to see if it details how many APs and clients are on that floor...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks - same issue on the list page in Visual RF.  It shows my APs but all the connected clients.

Guru Elite

Just to be clear, does it show 135 devices in the list view or not?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

It is early morning so currently there are only 35 clients connected.    It shows that at the top of the screen

UP -12 devices, Down 0, mismatched 0 ... Clients 35

If you select visual RF

Go to list view instead of map

It shows the APs in the APs column but in the clients column  it isn't currently showing ANY clients even though above on that same page it shows clients 35.

Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

The issue is resolved.  Changing the virtual controller ID seems to have resolved the problem

MVP

Would you please elaborate?  Where did you make that change?

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Frequent Contributor I

In the CLI of the AP you can change the virtual controller key but since I don't know it that well, you can go to maintenance in the GUI, then make a backup, modify the file in wordpad and then restore it.

Contributor II

Boe, I would like to know more about this "Virtual Controller ID", what is that and what does it do? I have had issues before with clients not showing up and turned out to be that the controllers "enable" password wasn't correct so the Airwave could not gather up all of the information about the clients. Some sites I still have issues with, even though I have the correct Enable password. 

Frequent Contributor I

I'm a complete newbie so you'd probably best get someone else to answer but I'll give you what I got.   I think the airwave communicates with the AP cluster and the virutal controller ID is how it knows which cluster is which when gathering info.  I think it might be possible for it to cache an incorrect ID so they don't reliably transfer info/statistics.   I think it regathered the key information for good communication when changing the virtual controller id - about the 3rd line down in the identity file it downloads when you make a backup. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: