Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

New AirWave VM Size Requirements

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  New AirWave VM Size Requirements

Posted Sep 14, 2018 05:24 PM

Hi gurus,

There are some posts related to this topic, but most of then make reference to the ASE tool https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/77. However, this tool is no longer available:

ASEcalc.PNG

Then, I have to refer to the AirWave Server Sizing Guide document, which says the following:

AirWaveServerGuide.PNG

Then:

1. Should I have to take these values as reference and add 20% more resources for a VM environment?
    2. Maximum devices means maximum APs or maximum clients? Because the guide also says "if you intend to monitor more than 3,000 devices, please contact Aruba support."

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: New AirWave VM Size Requirements

Posted Sep 17, 2018 12:06 AM

Hi guys,

Any idea about this?

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: New AirWave VM Size Requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 10:32 AM

Correct, the two servers listed are the two main hardware platforms tested.  If you're going the VM route, then you increase the sizing by 20% to account for VM application overhead.

The Max Devices is maximum monitored infrastructure devices: APs, controllers, switches, routers, etc.

• 4.  RE: New AirWave VM Size Requirements

Posted Sep 17, 2018 10:42 AM

Hi Rob,

Then, a couple of questions more:

1. 20% more implies all resources (CPU capacity, number of cores, RAM, IOPs, etc.)?

2. My number of devices differs a lot from that of the document. I have around 300 devices, but the minimum hardware tested is for 1500 devices. Should still I considere that platform or reduce the resources proportionally?

Regards,

Julián 

• 5.  RE: New AirWave VM Size Requirements
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 11:26 AM

Yes, it's 20% across the board.  And if the host is shared with additional instances, then priority for disk usage needs to go to AirWave as it's very disk intensive.  Disk contention has caused performance issues for many shared host setups (read as: don't put another database intensive application on the same host).  I also suggest that the VM layer only makes sense if snapshots are in use, otherwise dedicated hardware is the way to go w/o the VM layer.

Yes, the suggestion is to go with the Pro appliance for anything 1500 devices or less.  If you need to cut down the sizing, you can work with the sales team to find the right fit.  But from engineering, we suggest Pro since it goes through the gauntlet of our extensive scale testing.  The smallest VM setup I run is 4 core, 8 GB RAM, 80 GB disk, but it's usually 100 devices or less and doesn't live longer than a month at a time.

• 6.  RE: New AirWave VM Size Requirements

Posted Sep 17, 2018 12:16 PM

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for you help. Much clearer!

Regards,

Julián