Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

Posted Sep 24, 2015 04:41 PM

I'm trying to plan & deploy about a hundred AP's on multiple campuses and want to use VRF in the process. Is there a good workflow to follow to do this? I'm limited to using Airwave in monitor only mode.

Plan A is to import my AP's into Airwave as planned devices with a CSV file, place them on the floorplan and then configure them once they're wired in place. When I research the requirements for a CSV import, I see things like IP address, SNMP credentials etc. when all I really need is the MAC address and the name I'd like to give the AP. Is there a way to set up and import a CSV file like that into Airwave and then use the automatch function to finalize the deployment when the devices are actually wired into the network?

If that can't be done, Plan B is to configure them with bogus AP names using the controller in a lab set up, "deploying" them in Visual RF and then changing the names at the controller once they're actually hung in place.

Anybody have good, workable solutions or workflows that will make this deplyment work smoothly?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2015 08:01 PM

So, in VisualRF, you can add planned APs with names.  IF those names exactly match your APs once deployed, you can then auto-match the planned APs with the deployed APs.  You shouldn't need to add in the APs as planned.  They will be discovered and then you can auto-match them in VisualRF...just make sure that you name them the same when you provision on the controller.

• 3.  RE: Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

Posted Sep 25, 2015 10:46 AM

Great! Thank you. I'll give that a go.

Pete

• 4.  RE: Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

Posted Nov 11, 2015 03:12 PM

So, to get back to the original question--

Any way to add, say, 50 APs--all the same model--as a batch?

Which is probably the scenario most Airwave/VRF users are going to be in, right?

• 5.  RE: Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:54 PM

your options are to either deploy one at a time where you think that each AP should go, name them to match what will be their provisioned name, and then when deployed they will auto match. or you can run a floor plan through a planner, then when it's at the numbers you want, move them around individually where you think they should go, and then rename each one individually to match what will be their deployed name. 

The first option is actualy faster, but in some way, you will be touching each one. There is currently not anyway I am aware of to deploy planned APs in a batch that are already prenamed.

• 6.  RE: Proper way to plan and deploy AP's in Visual RF

Posted Nov 12, 2015 09:28 AM

Jerrod,

Forgive my ignorance--when you say "or you can run a floor plan through a planner" -- are you talking about adding APs via the Floor Upload wizard?