Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Provisioning AP's to static IP's not working???

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Provisioning AP's to static IP's not working???

Posted Jul 18, 2016 04:43 PM

Recently, I've been installing new AP's around in the campus I work on. Before the AP's were put in place, I had them set to DHCP. When they were placed I went to reprovision them to static IP's and then when I hit apply and reboot, the AP just stays down. It's happened with AP-205's and AP-325's. Anyone ever seen this before?

• 2.  RE: Provisioning AP's to static IP's not working???

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:13 AM

Did you set the master ip address when you provisioned them?  You could have made a mistake with the subnet mask or default gateway.  With that being said, setting static ip addresses is very unforgiving if you make a mistake; dhcp allows the AP to recover...

• 3.  RE: Provisioning AP's to static IP's not working???

Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:29 AM

I guess I'm not sure what you mean when you say master IP. In my controller it has the controller IP in the listing for the "down" access points.  I made sure to set our gateway, subnet, and DNS server correctly or so I thought. I'm going to bring the AP's back to my office and factory reset them and see what the results are if I provision them to static IP's in my office.

• 4.  RE: Provisioning AP's to static IP's not working???

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:36 AM

When you set a static ip address for an access point, discovery is not performed.  You need to set the ip address of the master controller.  Here is how you do it from the console:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-assign-static-parameters-in-aruba-AP/ta-p/183014

Again, Aruba APs are really designed to be used mainly with DHCP.  Making them static requires more maintenence and care.