Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Requirements for adding Cisco AP to Airwave

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Requirements for adding Cisco AP to Airwave

Posted Dec 16, 2013 01:12 PM

I would like to manage some Cisco Aironet 1200 Series AP to Airwave 7.7.5.

The APs are currently running LWAPP, and are managed by a Cisco Wireless Controller.

From what I understand. Airwave will connect to the Cisco APs using either SNMP or via telnet/ssh.

Does the Cisco 1200 AP have to run LWAPP or IOS in order to be added to Airwave?

Do I still need the Cisco Wireless Controller after adding it to Airwave? Or can I do from Airwave the functions I did from the Cisco WLC?

• 2.  RE: Requirements for adding Cisco AP to Airwave

Posted Dec 16, 2013 03:03 PM

Hi Rodrigai2,

You would add the Cisco WLC to Airwave. At which point Airwave would discover the APs attached to the controller.

In the user guide for AMP 7.x

See this thread for user guide

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Can-I-use-Airwave-to-deploy-a-Cisco-5508-Controller-in-a-remote/m-p/120923/highlight/true#M25974

The user guide will explain most options you need.

• 3.  RE: Requirements for adding Cisco AP to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2013 05:34 PM

Cisco LWAPP APs should be considered as thin APs.  There for no direct communication is being done with the APs, all communication happens with the controller.  So for this, AirWave requires the controller in order to report on the APs.  Commands for management are pushed from the AirWave to the controller.  Compared to Cisco IOS APs communicate directly with AirWave.