Network Management

Contributor I

SNMP get failed error after upgrade from Airwave 8.2.4 to 8.2.5

Hi,

we had an Airwave release 8.2.4 with all the switches showing status up. After we upgraded Airwave to release 8.2.5, two switches are in status Down with the message SNMP get failed.

The two switches are an HP5406 and an Aruba 2540.

No changes has been done to the switches.

Sometimes happens that the switch Aruba 2540 is in status UP, but it happens only for short time.

Anybody else with this problem?

Thanks!

Aruba Employee

Re: SNMP get failed error after upgrade from Airwave 8.2.4 to 8.2.5

Hi, Increase snmp timeout /retries values in Device setup > communication page and check the status.

Regards,

Pavan

Contributor I

Hi Pavan,

Thank you for the aswer.

I increased the SNMP time out to 60 and retries to 4, but the problem persists.

Kind regards

Aruba Employee

We should set timeout to a lower value and retries to a higher one. You could try setting timeout to 5 and retries to 20. Also, event log for device can give bit more information.
Since its 8.2.5 CLI would be locked to check the SNMP communication. I would suggest opening a TAC case if the above doesnt work so that they can check it from CLI.

Regards,
Vishnu
If my post helped you, don't forget to give kudos ;)
Frequent Contributor I

Have seen the same scenario after going from 8.2.4 to 8.2.5. Only happens with two HPE 5400 series chassis switches. All of our other switches (Aruba Mobility Access switches) are OK following the upgrade. One other note: our main SNMP management tool is Solar Winds Orion. It has no problem retrieving SNMP information from these 5400 switches using SNMP v2c and the existing community string.

Aruba Employee

Hi,

Could you help us with below queries?

What is the firmware version running on the switch?

What is the exact model of the switch 5406Rzl2 or 5406zl or 5412zl?

If you could let us know above details, we will discover the switch in 8.2.4 and then upgrade to 8.2.5 and try to reproduce the problem in our lab setup. Thanks.

Contributor I

Hi, 

Thanks everybody for your interest and suggestions. 

I tried every suggested change to the configuration, but without effect. The switch always give the same error "SNMP get failed"

The switch model is:

J8697A - HP E5406 zl Switch Chassis

Software revision : K.15.08.0013
ROM Version : K.15.28 

Thanks.

Kind regards.

Michele

Aruba Employee

Hi Michele,

Could you drop me an email. I would like to take a look at the setup. My email ID is mannil@hpe.com

Regards,
Vishnu
If my post helped you, don't forget to give kudos ;)
Frequent Contributor I

The switch in the network core is HPE 5412Rzl2(JL001A) and the one out at the elementary school is HPE 5406Rzl2 (JL003A). Both of these are running firmware version KB 16.02.0009.

Thanks. 

jk

Frequent Contributor I

One other thing that I noticed yesterday - it appears that all of our Aruba S2500/S3500/S1500 switches show as 'up'; however, I observed that some of them are not returning certain OID information, specifically, sysName. In the list of APs/Devices, under the Device column, there are six switches that show the MAC address instead of the system name. When Solar Winds Orion polls these switches, the sysName is displayed as expected.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: