Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

Posted Mar 14, 2013 01:20 PM

Hi everyone--i'm new to Airwave and Aruba in general, so forgive my ignorance on this.  I'm trying to add a controller to a demo environment of Airwave I've got setup and I keep getting SNMP get failed messages...I checked the string on the controller and it matches what i've got in Airwave.  what else am i missing?  i was able to add a controller from one of our other locations a while ago with no issue.

• 2.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

Posted Mar 14, 2013 01:41 PM

If u get SNMP failed errors  check the following:

What ArubaOS version are u using | what AirWave version are u using?

check icmp (simple ping) connectiviy from the controller to you AirWave server.

Verify firewall port 162 (default) is open between AMP and the controller.

Then check good your security string and your snmp2c settings in the controller and in your AirWave server.

Also - please read the attached PDF - they will assist u solve your problem.

Me

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

Posted Mar 15, 2013 09:48 AM

ok...the OS version on one of the controllers that isn't working is 5.0.2.0.  The OS version on the one that did work is 5.0.2.1.  The AWS server version is 7.6.3.

Pings worked without issue.  There are no firewalls between AWS and the controller (unless there's a firewall in CentOS, but i'm not a linux guy, so no clue how to verify).

the SNMP settings look to be the same.  i'll take a look at the docs you mentioned and see if anything sticks out.

Thanks

SJ

• 4.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2013 07:24 PM

Double check Group list -> select group -> Basic -> Aruba box -> SNMP version

Default is SNMPv2c

Also, double check that the controller is responding to SNMP requests by running a simply SNMP command on the CLI:

# s2w communitystring ipaddress OIDvalue
    EX:
    # s2w redleader 10.10.10.10 sysDescr
    Longform:
    # snmpwalk -v2c -c "redleader" 10.10.10.10 sysDescr

• 5.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

Posted Mar 15, 2013 09:49 AM

Hi Rob--i tried both forms of the command below, but neither worked.  it didn't seem to recognize snmpwalk as a valid command...not sure if the OS is out of date or something or what...appreciate the help though.

• 6.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2013 12:27 PM

Any update on this?

The SNMP package is a default install if the install was done using the AMP ISO.  It's a concern that the SNMP packages aren't present since they're needed for the AMP to work.  Perhaps you can open a support case to have some further inspection in your system.

• 7.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 01:37 PM

Hi Rob--it's odd.  I removed it from monitoring, re-discovered it and just let it go to the default 'Access Point' group instead of the site specific one, and it came in just fine.  After it found the APs connected to the controller, I moved everything for the location to the site-specific group, and it's been fine since...

Appreciate the follow-up though.

SJ

• 8.  RE: SNMP get failure from Airwave to 3600 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2013 01:50 PM

Thanks for the update.

Here's what I think possibly happened:

If the device was added via auto-discovery, then it takes on the characteristics of the Device Setup -> Communication -> (select device type).  The Device Setup entry does not overwrite existing entries.  Now if the controllers were added manually, then you would have inputted the community string at the time of adding (or it defaults to 'public' in most cases).

On a sidenote, please try again to do the SNMP walk since that functionality should be working.