Network Management

Contributor I

SNMP trap authenticationFailure

Hi everyone.
Can anyone give me an advice about AirWave.
Currently I have installed few aruba controllers and AirWave system to monitor them. From time to time I can see the following snmp traps in AirWave:

Date and timeSNMP Trap----AuthauthenticationFailure

What is that type of trap - is it user auth error, administrator auth error or SNMPv3 authentication error?

Guru Elite

Re: SNMP trap authenticationFailure

What is the whole message from the trap?

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Contributor I

Actually, it's a whole message...here is picture next

Guru Elite

On the controller type "show snmp trap-queue" to see if you can find it.  Usually the message has much more information than that...

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Contributor I

That is little funny, but the output from cli for "show snmp trap-queue" command is:
2015-09-23 12:50:23 SNMP Authentication Failed
2015-09-23 12:50:28 SNMP Authentication Failed

Guru Elite

Okay.  That means something is wrong with the method you are using to poll.  Have you already tried working with snmpv2 successfully?

Contributor I

Actually, SNMPv2 displays more information...
Here is output from SNMPv2 trap:
9/23/2015 8:39 AM    SNMP Trap    -    -    -    -    Auth    wlsxNAuthServerIsDown wlsxTrapAuthServerName.0: #########,
wlsxTrapTime: 9/23/2015 8:39:32 UTC-3

But it's strange....I thought that SNMPv3 gives the same information as v2. I thought that the only difference is in security parameters..

Guru Elite

Those look like two different notifications.  One trap is saying that snmp authentication failed.  The other one is reporting an authentication server is down.

So you have the SNMPv3 informs configured on the controller for SNMPv3 with a user/password that exactly matches the SNMPv3 settings configured for airwave AND you don't have any auto-SNMPvX discovery settings configured on AirWave? I don't have one handy at the moments but so long as the controller is configured for SNMPv3 informs with the same username/password as what is configured for the SNMPv3 settings on Airwave (of which there are two places to configure), it will work fine without any SNMPv1/2 settings needed. 

Remember, two places to configure SNMPv3 for a controller on AirWave:

1. Within the device-specific communications

2. Within the "SNMPv3 Informs" on the "Device Setup > Communications" page

The controller should be configured for SNMPv3 Informs on the SNMP settings page.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Contributor I

I checked current situation once more...
Now I'm pretty sure, that next error exists only in SNMPv3.

Date and timeSNMP Trap----AuthauthenticationFailure

Also, I suspect that it's authentication error of controller and AirWave communication. I meen, that it's just internal SNMPv3 error.
As I found, it appears nearly once per hour and makes auth errors for a 10-15 seconds. Despite that, all other SNMPv3 communication works fine. For now, I'm getting all traps, performing device polling...
What can it be?
To finalize, I'll say, that I currently successfully using SNMPv3 (for test), but once per hour getting authentication Failure.
Also, from time to time, I'm getting next logs (which are in different time according authenticationFailure errors):

Fri Sep 25 13:54:11 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(interface_error_counter)
Fri Sep 25 13:54:07 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(neighbor_client_location)
Fri Sep 25 13:24:11 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(interface_error_counter)
Fri Sep 25 13:24:07 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(neighbor_client_location)
Fri Sep 25 13:04:04 2015SystemPoll now complete
Fri Sep 25 13:03:51 2015xe6752Polling now
Fri Sep 25 13:03:35 2015SystemConfiguration verification: configuration on device does not match desired configuration
Fri Sep 25 13:02:02 2015SystemPoll now complete
Fri Sep 25 13:01:39 2015xe6752Polling now
Fri Sep 25 12:54:24 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(thin_ap_dot11)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:24 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(thin_ap_discovery)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:13 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(thin_ap_usb_interface)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:11 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(interface_error_counter)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:09 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(interface_bandwidth)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:07 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(tunneled_node_client)
Fri Sep 25 12:54:06 2015SystemError in SNMP polling: Unknown user name(neighbor_client_location)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: