Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Telnet App for Mac

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Telnet App for Mac

Posted Feb 12, 2018 10:46 AM

Hello All, 

I was wondering what is the best telnet app for Mac (I am running High Sierra) to use to access Aruba switches? I am trying to use Telnet Lite, but it disconnects much too often. 

Thanks!!!

• 2.  RE: Telnet App for Mac

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 12:00 PM

I simply use the built in terminal app.  It might be that the mgmt timeout on the switch is set to a low rate.  Check your switch's running config for loginsession timeout.

• 3.  RE: Telnet App for Mac

Posted Feb 12, 2018 02:41 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the reply, but when I try to access the terminal on the switch, I get this message. I don't see anything about being about to connect.

Note:
     Please refresh the page to re-connect
     Public key authentication is not supported
     For security purposes, the user needs to re-enter the password

• 4.  RE: Telnet App for Mac

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 02:56 PM

check /etc/sshd_config

what's the setting for PasswordAuthentication?

mine shows:

PasswordAuthentication yes

if you're trying to use pubkeys, you need to check /home/<user>/.ssh/authorized_keys and known_hosts files

if the switch is already in the list, try removing it in case the switch's pubkey changed.

• 5.  RE: Telnet App for Mac

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 04:38 AM

I use iTerm2, and never ever use telnet anymore but Secure Shell (SSH) instead.

Try to get away from telnet, as usernames, passwords, configuration are transferred unencrypted. You don't want your switch password being sniffed, or even the config being seen.