Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

[Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

This thread has been viewed 64 times
  • 1.  [Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

Posted Feb 27, 2018 08:52 AM

Hello everyone

In this tutorial you will learn how to restore an airwave server from a backup and also how to transfer your backup to the new airwave server so you can restore it!

Okay lets get started

The first thing you need to do is having a backup from the old airwave server, which is really easy to get, you can just download it from the System, backup of the old airwave server

backup.PNGAfter you got a valid backup with you what you need to do is installing a new airwave server which is not covered in this tutorial.

So what you do is install a new airwave server like you always do, but what is important is that you put the SAME IP address your old airwave server had.   Otherwise the license wont work.

After you do a fresh install of the  new airwave servera and put it the same IP address and the same name, then we need to restore the backup!

To restore the back we need to upload the file  and for that  you need to download a program like bitvise

here is the link

https://www.bitvise.com/winsshd-download

To set it up you can read this nice tutorial from esupport

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-to-upload-a-file-on-Airwave-8-2-4-from-Windows-machine/ta-p/303145

Now back to my tutorial ill cover something that isnt covered in esupport tutorial and is that

1-You need to be sure you not blocking with a firewall between both networks(airwave and your computer)

2-You need to be sure that the firewall of your computer isnt blocking the access to the application when you try to trasnfer the file(or just turn off the firewall of your computer while you transfer the file)

3-You need to share the file or it wont work(this had me thinking for like 10 mins why it didnt work the first time i did it) hopefully reading this you wont waste 10 mins of your time figuring this out

To share is really easy:

1-Put the file in a folder

2-rigth button and select propierties

share.PNG

3-go to share tab and click share

4-Select everyone of the dropdown menu and add access to read

share2.PNG

And thats it.

Now you got your bitvise up and ready to transfer. you need to go to the airwave server and log in.

In the menu, you press option number 1 to transfer

Capture.PNG

Now you need to put the path like this

cdelarosa@10.10.0.216:nightly_data001.tar.gz

cdelarosa= is my username on the bitvise program

10.10.0.216= is the ip address of my machine where the file is

nightly_data001.tar.gz= is the name of the file you want to transfer

Capture2.PNG

After that just hit enter, and put the password you put on your bitvise configuration, and you will see the file transfering

Now that you got the file in the airwave server you can restore the backup

For this, you to the main menu again and hit number 5 of Restore

Then hit 1 of amp restore

Capture3.PNG

Then you select the file you want to restore, in my case it was number 2 which is the file i just transfer to the new airwave server.

After that it will take sometime(you can do this restore from the SSH as i did it like that, it wont disconnect you or anything)  in my case it took around 7 mins  i guess, it will depend on your hardware of your airwave server

restore.PNGHere is the output you will see.

Also take in mind that after is done, you cannot access the Web gui inmediatly.... you need to wait like 5 mins i guess.  I tried accesing it as soon as it finished and i wasnt able... so i wait like 5 mins i think and after that the GUI was accesible, so dont panic if you cannot access it right away.

Hope it helps someone

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: [Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2018 02:51 PM

You can also do the backup / restore action from the 'Enter Commands' menu (option 11).

$ ? amp
    amp_version - Version of AirWave
    amp_backup - Back up AMP on demand into the CLI user directory
    amp_restore <filename>
    Restore AMP from a tar.gz filename in the CLI user directory
    You can use shell metacharacters in the filename.

So the only change for classic AirWave users is that instead of the restore command being:

# amp_restore -d /path/to/file.gz  (depricated cmd)

The -d flag doesn't need to be called:

$ amp_restore file.gz  (8.2.6 cmd)

Give it a try.

• 3.  RE: [Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

Posted Jun 12, 2018 10:23 AM

hi guys,

i try to restore a 8.2.4.1 Backup to a newer Version 8.2.5.1. In this case i need do skip the version check. But when i try to use the SKIP_VERSION_CHECK=1 Parameter with amp_restore command i got the Error that SKIP_VERSION_CHECK ist not allowed.

amp-restore.jpg

So, how will it work?

regards

markus

• 4.  RE: [Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 18, 2018 02:38 PM

Backup restore should only be performed if the versions are the same.  the skip version flag is only meant for internal QA testing, not production as it skips the restore of anything that doesn't conform to the database schema.

8.2.4 and 8.2.5 have different database schema which the database won't restore properly.  You should do a 1:1 version restore, then upgrade.  Or if you still have the system the 8.2.4 backup came from -> upgrade that system to get an 8.2.5 backup instead.

• 5.  RE: [Tutorial] Migrate/Restoring Airwave Server and transfering files on airwave 8.2.6

Posted Jun 18, 2018 02:52 PM
    Thank you.

Finally, that's what I've done. I reinstalled from airwave from scratch with the Version of the Backup.
    Then i restored the Backup and then I have made the Upgrade to 8.2.6.1.

My question was a bit sarcastic, because I think it's just stupid that such error messages are displayed.
    Airwave with NOCLI is just a disaster for every engineer. This is banana product. Ripes at the customer site.

regards
    Markus