Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 12, 2016 04:20 AM

Hi ,

how can I upgrade Airwave from legacy version (7.0  or older) to the latest version 8.2.

are there any impact in the licencing.

Regards

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2016 05:19 AM
    There is no impact in licensing. The release notes for every version says the path you need to take to upgrade...unless I am mistaken.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 12, 2016 06:23 AM

Hi Joseph,

as you can see , in the Release note of Airwave Version 8.2 , they do  not mention the Upgrade path, and that's way I'm Asking .

Airwave 8.2 Release note

Regards

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 03:42 PM

7.0!  That's a long time ago... at least 5 year old code

Here's my breakdown of trying to upgrade from 7.0:

1)

1st check that the hardware will be compatible -> check the 8.2 server sizing guide,  

2)

Make sure the OS is 64-bit.  From the command line:
    # uname -i
    If it returns 'i386' then you're on 32-bit OS. If it returns 'x86-64' then you're on 64-bit.

When both of the above check out (meaning hardware is within current required spec and the OS is already reporting as 64bit), then you can proceed with the following:

option a)

long path -> but best for making sure nothing fails between versions as far as database migration is concerned:

7.0.x -> 7.1.3 -> 7.2.5 -> 7.3.9 -> 7.4.9 -> 7.5.7 -> 7.6.6 -> 7.7.14.1 -> 8.0.11.1 -> 8.2.0.2

(9 steps - yowza!)

option b)

skipping every other upgrade:

7.0.x -> 7.2.5 -> 7.4.9 -> 7.6.6 -> 8.0.11.1 -> 8.2.0.2

(5 steps - manageable...)

option c)

start fresh with just 8.2.0.2 and then add devices from there

------------

If your OS was 32bit, then you would want to upgrade to 7.2.5, take a backup, download that backup off server, reinstall from the 7.2.5 ISO (to replace old 32bit OS with 64bit OS), and then restore the 7.2.5 backup that was generated.  OS install takes about 10-15 minutes, with the amp-install portion after OS install taking the same amount of time as an upgrade.

------------

Since I'm guessing that the server is outside of spec, another alternative would be to setup the new server to run at the same time as the older production server.  Export the necessary csv from the database that you can import using csv import on the Device Setup -> Add page.  And then take a VRF backup from the older production and restore that backup to the new server.

If you choose to undergo the long upgrade path, you may want to open a support case so that they can provide additional guidance.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 13, 2016 04:58 PM

thank you for your support

I think that it will be more simple to start directly with 8.2.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 27, 2016 01:46 PM

Hi,

I'm running into a similar issue and I was wondering if I could backup the current AirWave server (7.7.3) then directly export it to the new server (8.2.x.y, whichever is the latest and greatest).

Regards,

• 7.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2016 01:58 PM

@sforget

The backup / restore points should be the exact same version if possible.  We allow some fluxuation between patched versions of the same release branch, but a 7.7.3 backup won't restore cleanly on an 8.2. installed server.  You'd want to upgrade from 7.7.3 to 8.2, and then take a backup which would then restore cleanly.

reading versions:

8.2 = major release

0 = minor release (updates for new features)

3 = patch release (bug fixes, security fixes)

• 8.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 27, 2016 02:10 PM

@rgin

I was sure that some data structure might changed between release/major but I wasn't aware it could also be the case for a minor or a patch version.

I'll let my customer decide if we're going for a full upgrade or a clean install.

Regards,

• 9.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2016 02:19 PM

We typically don't expect db schema to change for a patched release for bug fixes, but in minor releases it's sometimes needed due to new features being added at the time.  We try to isolate it to only adding tables, but sometimes in the course of a feature getting built up, refactoring old code happens.

• 10.  RE: Upgrade Airwave from 7.0 to 8.2

Posted Jun 27, 2016 02:27 PM

Thanks for the added explanation. I bet we were a few folks that were looking for this.

Keep on your good work,