Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:34 AM

My organization has a very large Master-Local setup configuration at multiple sites across the country. We currently have one Master Controller that only does just that, and 50+ local controllers at sites, some of which are local controllers with a standby backup in VRRP. 

I want to upgrade to the latest 6.4.2.13 image, but I am confused a bit about the process to upgrade. 
    - If I were to upgrade the Master Controller first and reboot, will that cause an outage for all local controllers or will they remain online? 
    - If the Master Controller comes back online with the newest software image, will it still be able to talk to the local controllers that are on a previous image until I can get them all upgraded, or do they lose connectivity to the Master until they are on the same image?

- Does the Master push out the software to the local controllers, or do I have to manually install it on each local controller?

One last side question. In the Release Notes for 6.4.2.13, it says that older 3200 series controllers do not support the 6.4.X AOS, but we actually have two 3200 series controlles running 6.4.2.6 image...is that wrong for us to be running that version on them, or can they in fact support the newest software?

Thank you. 

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:49 AM
    If the master on a different code you will not be able to make changes to your locals
    If you upgrade your master first your locals will still function but you will not be able to do the following :
    ARM Calculations (No channel and power adjustments)
    Push new configs

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:56 AM

vfabien is correct:

If a local cluster has a different administrative domain (other people managing them who are different that the people who manage the master), or you need to upgrade more aggressively than the master, you should consider making that local cluster a master/local cluster of its own....  That would separate that site administratively from the master and give you more flexibility.

You have the option of using Airwave to manage the configuration of master controllers centrally, so that multiple master share the same configuration.  The Airwave document on how to configure Aruba controllers is here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14107

Please know that configuring controllers through Airwave has a specific workflow in order for you to be successful, so you should first try it out in the lab, to ensure that you can get adjusted to how this would work within your own system.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 01:24 PM

Colin, 

I guess I am also confused on what the difference between the ArubaOS versions 6.4.X and the Mobility Access Switch version 7.4.X versions? Not in terms of what they fix, but what should I be loading on my 7010 or 7210 controllers? There are different categories for the software but I am not sure what is designed for what we have.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 01:27 PM

ArubaOS is for WLAN Controllers:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/controllers/

Mobility Access Switches are Network Switches: http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/switches/

You should only be loading ArubaOS on your WLAN controllers.

• 6.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 01:54 PM

Okay thanks, yeah I guess I never ran across the MAS, but I think I remember someone once referring to my WLAN controller as a MAS, so that's why i got confused. 

• 7.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 01:57 PM

Colin, 

One last side question. In the Release Notes for 6.4.2.13, it says that older 3200 series controllers do not support the 6.4.X AOS, but we actually have two 3200 series controlles running 6.4.2.6 image...is that wrong for us to be running that version on them, or can they in fact support the newest software?

• 8.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 02:01 PM
    ArubaOS 6.4.x supports only the newer MIPS controllers (7200 Series, M3, 3200XM, 3400, 3600, and 600
    Series). Legacy PPC controllers (200, 800, 2400, SC1/SC2) and 3200 controllers are not supported. Do not
    upgrade to ArubaOS 6.4.x if your deployment contains a mix of MIPS and PPC controllers in a master-local
    setup.

You probably have a 3200XM controller.   It looks the same as the 3200.  See the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-Identify-differences-between-3200-and-3200XM-controller/ta-p/180516 to identify the difference.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 11:54 AM
    If you have airwave you can utilize it to rollout the code upgrade based on a group of controllers

• 10.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

Posted Nov 03, 2015 12:17 PM

We do have Airwave, but we currently have it set for Monitor only, haven't fully deployed its capabilities yet. Maybe someday. 

• 11.  RE: Upgrade Process for Master - Local set up question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 12:19 PM
    You have the option to do it for as fee or as many sites at a time. It does not have to be all or nothing.