Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Upstream Device/Port not being detected on Switches

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Upstream Device/Port not being detected on Switches

Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:27 PM

Setup

Airwave: 8.2.0 (was operating the same way on 8.0.11 and 8.0.11.1)

MAS S2500/S3500: 7.4.1.4

Alacatel Omniswitch 6900 at every site as main router

Problem:

Airwave is not reporting my upstream devices (which are mostly the Alcatel Omniswitch 6900s, however some are uplinked Aruba MAS to Aruba MAS). I could understand the Alcatels not reporting, but it's come to my attention that an old switch that is uplinked Aruba MAS to Aruba MAS is showing an OLD, no longer online, Aruba switch instead of the new one and all of the other Aruba MAS to Aruba MAS uplink devices are not listed at all.

I ensured that the LLDP profile is "lldp-factory-initial" and the MED/Transmit/Recieve are all enabled. Doing a 'show lldp neighbors' on some of the switches in question seems to properly see and list all directly connected Aruba devices and even the Alcatels, but Airwave is not reporting these devices as the upstream devices.

Any suggestions on what I need to check next to get these upstream devices populated in Airwave?

• 2.  RE: Upstream Device/Port not being detected on Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:32 PM

AFAIK, the cam tables of the switches are used to enumerate what is connected to what and not LLDP.  The question is, are all of your switches in Airwave, and is the vendor correct, and lastly can you poll them manually with the current SNMP string?'

• 3.  RE: Upstream Device/Port not being detected on Switches

Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:41 PM

Yes to all three questions.

-All of my switches, Aruba and Alcatel, are in Airwave

-The vendor is correct on the switches (assuming you mean airwave's vendor/make/model information for the switches)

-I am able to manually poll the devices without any problem

• 4.  RE: Upstream Device/Port not being detected on Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:48 PM

Airwave should be able to use the bridge forwarding table on all switches to discover others.  If not, you should open a TAC case so it can be determined why:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-does-Airwave-detect-upstream-device/ta-p/253375