Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

Posted Jul 21, 2014 08:06 AM

I was reading through the AirWave best practices document (http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14097) and came across a section where it is recommended that AirWave be set up as the master. 

Why is that?

1.PNG

Untitled.png

• 2.  RE: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

MVP
    Posted Jul 21, 2014 10:15 AM

I think you are misinterpreting the documentation. The mgmt-server line gives AirWave access to the controller to get the necessary information to monitor the wireless system 

We have our AirWave server set up to "Monitor-only" and make configuration changes directly on our active master controller.

• 3.  RE: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

Posted Jul 21, 2014 10:29 AM

That makes sense in regards to the mgmt-server command. 

We are monitor only as well. The documentation wasn't clear to me why AirWave would be the master. I

• 4.  RE: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2014 10:41 AM

That table is more for when you enable 'wms-offload'.  This is typically used for large deployments when you want to take the wms processing load away from the controller, or when you have an 'all masters' deployment and the aps on different masters can hear each other.

• 5.  RE: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 21, 2014 12:10 PM

The term "Master" in this case is confusing, as it can refer to more than one aspect of the Airwave-Controller relationship.

Airwave as "configuration-master:" where Airwave is used to push any configurations to the controllers.

I'm still not sure how I like this idea.

Airwave as "air-master:" where Airwave collects all of the signal strength, interference data, rogue detection, switch MAC address info, etc.

This I like - Airwave is able to correlate much more data from more sources and centralizes the analysis, alerting and presentation in one place.

• 6.  RE: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

Posted Jul 21, 2014 12:12 PM

Great explaination, thanks.