Network Management

Contributor I

Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

I was reading through the AirWave best practices document (http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14097) and came across a section where it is recommended that AirWave be set up as the master. 

Why is that?

1.PNG

Untitled.png

Contributor II

Re: Why is it best practice to have AirWave as the master?

I think you are misinterpreting the documentation. The mgmt-server line gives AirWave access to the controller to get the necessary information to monitor the wireless system 

We have our AirWave server set up to "Monitor-only" and make configuration changes directly on our active master controller.

Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer
ACCP, ACMP
Contributor I

That makes sense in regards to the mgmt-server command. 

We are monitor only as well. The documentation wasn't clear to me why AirWave would be the master. I

Aruba

That table is more for when you enable 'wms-offload'.  This is typically used for large deployments when you want to take the wms processing load away from the controller, or when you have an 'all masters' deployment and the aps on different masters can hear each other.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
MVP

The term "Master" in this case is confusing, as it can refer to more than one aspect of the Airwave-Controller relationship.

Airwave as "configuration-master:" where Airwave is used to push any configurations to the controllers.

I'm still not sure how I like this idea.

Airwave as "air-master:" where Airwave collects all of the signal strength, interference data, rogue detection, switch MAC address info, etc.

This I like - Airwave is able to correlate much more data from more sources and centralizes the analysis, alerting and presentation in one place.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Contributor I

Great explaination, thanks. 

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: