Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Won't communicate using cable internet

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 09, 2016 10:38 PM
    I have a 7005 controller connected to cable internet service with a static ip. Once configured I cannot ping to the Internet, however, when I configure the same static ip on my laptop and connect to the cable modem it works. Any ideas, I'm completely at a loss; everything seems to be configured correctly. I have verified the ip, subnet mask and default gateway.

• 2.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 04:56 AM
    Did you reboot the cable modem?

• 3.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 10, 2016 12:40 PM

I have tried just about everything.  I configured the assigned static IP on my laptop then connected to the cable modem, had the provider clear arp on the modem and it then worked.  On my controller I performed a write erase and then started over, accepted the defaults for VLAN 1 and then created VLAN 2, assigned the static IP to interface VLAN 2, then assigned interface Gi0/0/3 as an access port in vlan 2; no luck.  I ensure my default gateway was set correctly.  I connected between my laptop and the controller interface and it works okay.  Everything seems to work except when I connect the controller to the cable modem. 

• 4.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 02:08 PM

Can you ping your default gateway?

• 5.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 10, 2016 02:42 PM
      |   view attached

Cannot ping my default GW.  See the attached running config from the device. 

Attachment(s)

docx
    Br23_Controller.docx   24 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 19, 2016 09:31 PM

I've continued troubleshooting this problem.  If I put a small switch between the cable modem and my controller (7005) it will work.  Whenever I have my controller directly connected to the cable modem no good; I'm not seeing anything in the ARP table.  Do you think an OS upgrade or possibly downgrade could make a difference?  I'm running version 6.4.3.9.  This problem presented at another location the other day, same controller model and OS (7005 running 6.4.3.9).  Thoughts??

• 7.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2016 11:26 AM

Is it possible that you are using a crossover cable?

• 8.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 22, 2016 12:44 PM

Nope, definitely have a straight through cable. 

• 9.  RE: Won't communicate using cable internet

Posted Nov 23, 2016 11:27 PM

Today I had the ISP go to the site and replace the cable modem.  Recap of problem:

Arubal 7005 controller running ver 6.4.3.9 connected to cable internet service from Cox Communications (cable modem was a Cisco DPC3021). 

Nothing seemed to work when connecting the controller to the cable modem, after much troubleshooting as best as I can tell, it appears to be a hardware compatibility issue between the Cisco DPC 3021 and the Aruba 7005.  Whenever the ISP (Cox Business) replaced the Cisco cable modem with a Motorola/Arris Surfboard 6183 it immediately came up and started working.  Prior to that, the only way I could get it to work was to put a small switch (i.e. Linksys or something) between the two devices. 

I have the exact same problem at another site (also exact same hardware involved); I have the vendor scheduled to replace the cable modem there also.  I feel relatively certain this will fix the problem there also.