Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

Posted May 17, 2017 03:56 PM

I have an AirWave server with two groups in monitor-only mode:

1) Access Points, with folders representing AP Groups.  In my case, each AP Group is a school.  We have 27 schools, so that means 27 AP Groups / folders in AirWave.  We have about 1,200 access points.

2) Controllers (no folders) - We have six 7210 controllers.

Over time, people have RMA'd dead AP's (and cleared them from the controllers, but they stay in AirWave), moved AP's between groups, made new AP Groups, etc., and this has caused the AP Groups in the controllers and the folders in AirWave to not match.  Is there a way to automatically sync AP Groups in my controllers --> folders in AirWave?  Or perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way... basically my goal is to run reports in AirWave based on school, so maybe I should have all of my AP's in a single folder in AirWave and run reports based on AP Group?  Is that even possible?

Thanks for any feedback you have.

• 2.  RE: method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2017 04:03 PM
    Groups are mainly for controller configuration through Airwave. Are you using Airwave for configuration of the controller? If not, groups are not really useful in that context.

• 3.  RE: method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

Posted May 17, 2017 04:06 PM

I'm not using AirWave for configuration.  I only change configs on controllers.  I should clarify that in AirWave I only have one group for Access Points, but multiple folders where I move the AP's to.

• 4.  RE: method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 06:27 AM

Hi,

Aruba AP Group and Airwave Group both are different, APGroup is specific to controller where we map SSID profiles.

Correct me if I understand wrong, so you want to update the AP groups of all the access points from Airwave , since there are changes made in AP Group mapping in controller. If Yes, please follow below steps

Naviage to APs/Devices>List page, scroll down and click modify device pencile icon and select APs checkbox which you want to update AP Groups and from Device Action drop down list select Aruba AP Group and click Update Aruba AP Group button.

It will take you to new page and ask whether to auto detect or manually choose the AP group from drop down list. I would recommand to set it auto detect only.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your qurey, give kudos:)

• 5.  RE: method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 06:35 AM

Adding to previous post

If you have folders in Airwave with same controller AP Group name and want automatically update new AP Groups which created in controller as folders in Airwave is not possbile.

If you want folders with new AP Group name in Airwave then you need to manually create folder from APs/Devices>List page, scroll to bottom of the page, we see below option

This folder cannot be deleted because it is not empty.

Regards,

Pavan

• 6.  RE: method to sync AP Groups from controllers --> Folders in airwave?

Posted May 18, 2017 08:43 AM

Thanks for the responses.  That answers my question.  There is no way to sync AP Groups from controllers to folders in AirWave.