Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

Posted Aug 24, 2016 02:15 AM

Hi all, we began our wifi deployment with only a handful of devices but that number is growing and so is the list of sites requiring wireless access. We have various remote sites that make up a fully routed, segregated WAN and I am trying to avoid a situation where we must have a separate master for each site or have to stretch a management VLAN across multiple sites. Has anyone else got a similar setup to this that works or am I asking the impossible? Please bear with me I am new to the way the Arubas operate.

Thanks,

Michelle

• 2.  RE: wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 05:33 AM

That is where you could use controller-less access points:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/aruba-instant/  Instant can be deployed across the WAN without controllers.. 

• 3.  RE: wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

Posted Aug 24, 2016 09:46 PM

Hi Colin, thanks for your response. So I should have mentioned we do currently use Instant APs... my bad sorry. I have been referring to the head APs of each site as the master for each site so maybe my terminology is off.

Regardless, at the moment, in order to manage each site, we are having to configure 1 controller-less AP for each subnet (as that's all they appear to discover). This is really time consuming. Is there a way to see all APs across all subnets? The APs appear to be Layer3 capable but I just dont know how to take advantage of that capability.

Cheers,

Michelle

• 4.  RE: wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2016 08:02 AM

Do you have Airwave?

• 5.  RE: wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

Posted Aug 25, 2016 08:26 AM
    Is airwave the only option?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: This email (and any attachments) is for the intended recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential or copyright information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited. The Mornington Peninsula Shire Council does not accept liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or use. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council.

Protecting your privacy and your personal information is an important responsibility of Council. Our privacy policy outlines Councils commitment to compliance with both State and Commonwealth privacy and data protection legislation. We will only collect personal information from you with your prior knowledge and consent. We will only use personal information provided by you for the purposes for which it was collected. We will not disclose your personal information without consent to a third party, State institution or authority except if required by law or other regulation. We have implemented technology and security policies, rules and measures to protect the personal information that we have under our control from: unauthorised access, improper use, alteration, unlawful or accidental destruction and accidental loss. We will remove personal information from our system where it is no longer required (except where archiving is required).

For further information please refer to our privacy policy available online www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/Information_Pages/Privacy

• 6.  RE: wifi across multiple vlans/WAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2016 08:33 AM

I would say yes.  Instant is designed to have a single AP manage all APs in a "cluster".  All of those APs need to share a single management subnet.  If you have multiple sites, that all have different subnets, you would need a single VC for each site to manage each "cluster" of APs at that site.  If you want to manage multiple sites from a single pane, you would need Airwave.  It would allow you to deploy sites quickly by having a template of your config and you can make your new APs come up and get the template automatically.  You would also be able to gather statistics by site, or in aggregate.  

Is that what you are talking about?