Outdoor & Mesh Networks

New Contributor

ANT-2x2-2010 Antenna Replacement

Hi everybody,

I had 3 project this year and all of them was designed last December. 2010 with ANT-2x2-2010 for AP-175-AC but now once the contractor intended to place the PO, Aruba decided to replace ANT-2x2-2010 with ANT-2x2-2005 even it is less power transmission 5dbi instead of original 10dbi and I am warried that such change will affect the implementation.

Why Aruba didn’t propose AP-ANT-80 rather than ANT-2x2-2005?
Aruba Employee

Re: ANT-2x2-2010 Antenna Replacement

I don't believe engineering ever worked out an acceptably performing 10dB 2.4GHz MIMO Omni. The reason the ANT-80 isn't a viable alternative is due to the fact that MIMO uses multiple transmit and receive chains. Using the ANT-80 as the antennas on a MIMO AP results is lower throughput and less range as a result. Right now, for an Omni, the ANT-2x2.2005 is the best fit.

Will this be for regular laptop and handheld clients?
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
New Contributor

Thanks jhoward for your reply and assistance.

This will be used by all type of wireless devices since this project is intended to cover users on beaches and parks.

We received official letter from manufacturer stating that the replacement ANT-2x2-2005 won't affect most of deployment.

I was questioning my contractor Is "Most of deployment" similar to my project deployment? No comment up to now!!
Aruba Employee

HAH I feel your pain. To be honest, to REALLY benefit from long range, high gain client antennas, when the AP antennas are 10dB (+aprox 20dB power for a total of 30dB EIRP), the clients also need to be able to produce that kind of power. As such, the clients would either need a high power radio (which is NOT common) and a high gain antennas, or both, which is rare.

The risk then, is that since the AP is so 'loud', and the client can hear fine, the client thinks he's got a good link. However, when the client talks back to the AP, it is so 'quiet' that the AP can't hear the client well, or at all. As such, you commonly see the client associate at a high rate, transmit, not get an ack, re-trasmit at a lower rate, rinse and repeat...all the while that client is chewing up your air and slowing everyone down.

Ideally, what you want is the EIRP (total power output) of the AP to be as close to the clients as possible, without being overly too loud with regard to the clients. A 5dB antenna on the AP is actually your best bet on serving regular devices, esp when those devices will be low powered iPhones/iPads, Androids, etc.

In some cases, bigger is certainly not better. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Chief Airhead

Ap 175 ac

Were you able to order the 175 AC? I am not able to use this in designs because thay are not avaliable yet.
Sean Rynearson | Chief Airhead
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Aruba

AP-175AC is not yet available.
New Contributor

jhoward,

Thanks very much for your assistance. I am waiting for implementation to finish and then make a test and I will post the result here for roaming with handheld/mobile devices :)

Srynearson, jfernyc,

Regarding "AP-175AC" our contractor said that he already order this product and it is in the manufacturing process now because it is not available on the shelf. I will update once we receive it in our warehouse.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: