Outdoor & Mesh Networks

Contributor I

AP-175 Portal-Point maximums

Good morning all

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with some information about the suggested or maximum amount of MESH points a single MESH portal can handle.

I have a situation where I may have 5 points that I would like to point to a single portal and I am wondering if I do this configuration am I going to run into any issues.

On the portal, am I going to need to run an antenna for every point or will a single antenna be able to handle them all?

Thank you very much.
Guru Elite

Re: AP-175 Portal-Point maximums

Good morning all

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with some information about the suggested or maximum amount of MESH points a single MESH portal can handle.

I have a situation where I may have 5 points that I would like to point to a single portal and I am wondering if I do this configuration am I going to run into any issues.

On the portal, am I going to need to run an antenna for every point or will a single antenna be able to handle them all?

Thank you very much.

If you have 1 portal and 5 points, the usable throughput will be divided by six on that connection, since all of the APs will have to be on the same channel to connect. It is not a good idea in most situations, unless you need very low bandwidth.

If those links are very short links, like just across the street, you can do an omnidirectional antenna on the mesh portal and directionals on the mesh points. Once again, I would say, for performance, you should have no more than 3 mesh points pointing to a portal.

If you need more connections, you should bring up another portal for the other access points with yes, a separate antenna.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thank you very much. I never had a desire to run them daisy chained and they were all going to go point to point. I appreciate the mention of the 3 points. Why 3? Simply bandwidth or is it some other limitation?
From what I can determine that even on the point to point configuration all of the points are going to have to be on the same channel. Is that maybe the limitation?

Out of curiosity I have a couple questions about that function that maybe you or someone could answer.
When you have a multiple points terminating at a single portal how does the portal determine which point gets to take up the line for data transfer? Is it the portal or is it the controller? Is it the standard 802.11 arbitration algorithm to share the bandwidth or some Aruba specific design?

I know that is a lot. I apologize if I am over stepping the boundaries of an online forum.

Thanks in advance, man.
Guru Elite

Thank you very much. I never had a desire to run them daisy chained and they were all going to go point to point. I appreciate the mention of the 3 points. Why 3? Simply bandwidth or is it some other limitation?
From what I can determine that even on the point to point configuration all of the points are going to have to be on the same channel. Is that maybe the limitation?

Out of curiosity I have a couple questions about that function that maybe you or someone could answer.
When you have a multiple points terminating at a single portal how does the portal determine which point gets to take up the line for data transfer? Is it the portal or is it the controller? Is it the standard 802.11 arbitration algorithm to share the bandwidth or some Aruba specific design?

I know that is a lot. I apologize if I am over stepping the boundaries of an online forum.

Thanks in advance, man.

Three is not written anywhere. It is in my head. The limitation would be that they are all on the same channel.

Smarter people than me would be able to tell you the algorithm in use to make mesh decisions.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Three is not written anywhere. It is in my head. The limitation would be that they are all on the same channel.

Smarter people than me would be able to tell you the algorithm in use to make mesh decisions.

I'm not sure if there are smarter people than you, my good man. haha
Hey, thanks a lot for the information. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome weekend.
Aruba Employee

There is no hard and fast rule on the number of mesh points per portal as it depends on the deployment. If you have 10 points directly connected to one portal, then if all links were loaded simultaneously on average they would get 1/10 of the channel capacity. The network design should provide enough portals that performance is adequate under peak load conditions. If points are N hops away from the portal they require more bandwidth as it takes N transmissions over the mesh backhaul to transmit a packet between the point and the portal.

There is no Aruba-specific algorithm governing channel access: it is the standard 802.11 channel access.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: