Outdoor & Mesh Networks

Occasional Contributor II

How to optimize MSR-2000 with only 1 ANT-2x2-2714

Please provide step-by step procedures on how were going to optimize the wireless access. The set up for pre testing will be 1x MSR2000 with one-ANT-2x2-2714(as access point only).
We’ll choose test point short to long distance from the access point and record RSSI and test throughput with our laptop. What is the proper parameter we can use for iPerf TCP and UDP?
Is it better to set auto channel selection/unicast/broadcast. How I can balance between the trade or range vs. bandwidth?

For your reference radio info to be tested:
Hardware version: A0
Software version:4.1.5

RE: How to optimize MSR-2000 with only 1 ANT-2x2-2714

I'm not sure if I understand the problem, but sounds to me a simple AP-Client performance test.

Here are recommended configurations to test 802.11n access performance using IPERF:

IPERF version: 2.0.5 and above

TCP:

Server:
iperf –s –i1 –B

Client:
iperf –c 10.0.0.1 –i1 –t100 –P n
where n is the number of concurrent TCP streams you want, typically recommend n =

UDP:
Server: bind to different ports to allow multiple concurrent UDP streams
iperf –s –i1 –u –B -p 11111
iperf –s –i1 –u –B -p 22222
iperf –s –i1 –u –B -p 33333

Client:
iperf –c 10.0.0.1 –i1 –u –b100M –t100 –p 11111
iperf –c 10.0.0.1 –i1 –u –b100M –t100 –p 22222
iperf –c 10.0.0.1 –i1 –u –b100M –t100 –p 33333

The example above establishes three UDP streams on UDP port 11111, 22222 and 33333 respectively, with each stream sends 100Mbps throughput to the server.

on how were going to optimize the wireless access. The set up for pre testing will be 1x MSR2000 with one-ANT-2x2-2714(as access point only).
We’ll choose test point short to long distance from the access point and record RSSI and test throughput with our laptop. What is the proper parameter we can use for iPerf TCP and UDP?
Is it better to set auto channel selection/unicast/broadcast. How I can balance between the trade or range vs. bandwidth?

For your reference radio info to be tested:
Hardware version: A0
Software version:4.1.5

Throughput become Low

How can I optimize the wireless access my throughput become low 3 days ago I got 20 Mbps throughput when I test the AP using my Laptop it become 5 Mbps on the same spot around 10 meters.

Kindly advise.

iperf testing

When using iperf or other speed tools it is important to understand the influcece of TCP windowing.

If the TCP window size is set too small the interface will start and stop as the window will fill up before an acknowledgement is sent back.

The issue is that the inherent delays in Wi-Fi are longer than in a piece of blue wire. The longer response times result in the TCP window timing out.

to fix this in iPerf is very easy. Use the -w parameter.

Try -w 256k or 512k.

In real networks each session open on a computer and each user multiply up the effective TCP window size as #user*windows default tcp window (64k)*sessions so the test is not giving an artificial result.

Rssi high throughput low

Hi All,

My MSR2k is not cannot be optimized. I test 10 meters from the antenna even I get a good RSSI I cannot maximized throughput. I installed the radio far away from the BTS but result still the same. And try different channel in 2.4 Ghz. The set up is 1MSR2k for client access with 1 ANT-2x2-2714. From theprevious test I got an upload throughput using iperf from my laptop to AP around 40 Mbps within 10 meters. And when I test it again it yesterday it become 20Mbps and now it is 8 Mbps. Same configuration and trying to change some parameters like channel set modulation to static and still the result is the same. Kindly advise.

Regards,
marlon
Guru Elite

Re: How to optimize MSR-2000 with only 1 ANT-2x2-2714

Hi All,

My MSR2k is not cannot be optimized. I test 10 meters from the antenna even I get a good RSSI I cannot maximized throughput. I installed the radio far away from the BTS but result still the same. And try different channel in 2.4 Ghz. The set up is 1MSR2k for client access with 1 ANT-2x2-2714. From theprevious test I got an upload throughput using iperf from my laptop to AP around 40 Mbps within 10 meters. And when I test it again it yesterday it become 20Mbps and now it is 8 Mbps. Same configuration and trying to change some parameters like channel set modulation to static and still the result is the same. Kindly advise.

Regards,
marlon

Are there any other wireless networks or clients around? I have never used that monitoring tool. Does it say that the channel utilization is great? Have you tried to test it indoors to compare it to outside?
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs

yes I test indoor throughput is high.

Guru Elite

So that means you have too much interference outside.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs

Yes suspected there's a lot.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: