Outdoor & Mesh Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Outdoor mesh with AP124

Hi,

I would like to build an outdoor mesh with an AP124. I can mount the AP inside and use external antennas. I'm not really sure which type of antenna to use on this AP for the client links on 2.4 GHz and for the backhaul on 5 GHz as this AP is 3X3 MIMO. Can anyone tell me what antenna's to use?

The coverage should look like this.

Regards,
Thomas
Guru Elite

Re: Outdoor mesh with AP124

What are the mesh distances that you want to cover on 5ghz?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

The distance between AP1 and AP2 (and maybe AP4) is 25 meters. Between AP2 en AP3 is 75 meters. Thats for 5 GHz.
AP1 and AP3 need to reach quite a distance on the 2.5 GHz band (both more than 75 meter).
MVP

The issue here is the AP124 has diplexed antenna connectors (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same connectors), which means whatever you use for the 5GHz you have to use for the 2.4GHz as well, and ALSO must be pointed into the same direction. Your option here are pretty much the ANT17 and ANT18. The ANT18 is a higher gain, narrower pattern antenna and will likely get the distances you need, but I don't think the headings are all what you want.

www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-17_ss.pdf
www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-18_ss.pdf

So looking at the sketch, it looks like AP3 needs client coverage to the left, but a PtP link to the right. You will either need to change to an AP175, or use 2 AP124s at the AP3 location.

As for the rest of APs in the sketch, I can't tell what is going where, but the above info may give you what you need to further define your options. Can you make a KMZ and identify the PtP links versus the client coverage areas?
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Occasional Contributor I

Thank you for your answers. In the link below you can find the kmz for this plant.
The red lines are the backhaul links and the collared area's the coverage per AP.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29470211/rien_van_den_broeke_village_1_-_10_.kmz

AP175 is probably an better option for this kind of coverage.
MVP

Is AP1 the 'core' or LAN access? Can the antennas be mounted above the roof lines and tree lines? If so, then you can use the Omni's for 5GHz backhaul and use directionals for client coverage. at 300feet or less, with clear line of sight, you should be able to hit 120-140Mbps on the backhaul links (using HT40). Looking at the environment, there looks to be a lot of trees and buildings, so client coverage should be OK assuming there's not too much interference.
Jerrod Howard
MVP

Hey Thomas, look this over and see if this is what you need. This would be using AP-175s with ANT-2x2-5010 for the 5GHz backhaul, and D607 and D805s for client coverage over the areas you outlined. I did take off the lowest data rate, but you can enable that in the coverage fields on the left. In short, I picked a high design margin for the clients and a medium design margin for the mesh links. Even then the client coverage looks good and the mesh links are all 80meg or better.

Note: I modeled the mesh links at HT20, since your clients won't need that much. You can effectively double the throughput of the mesh links by going to HT40 but it consumes twice as much 5Ghz channels for not much gain when doing wireless client backhaul.
Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Hi Jerrod,

AP1 is indeed the LAN access. I can mount the antennas above the roof lines but not above the tree lines.

Thank you for your kind service. AP175 with 5010 for 5Ghz and D607, D805s for 2.4Ghz it will be.

What kind of tooling did you use to come up with this solution?
MVP

That is our Aruba Outdoor Planning tool, available to our partners. Please contact your local SE resource for information regarding this tool and they should be able to get your started.
Jerrod Howard