Primary (K-12) Education

Reply
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎03-27-2014
Google Expeditions

I was able to get Google Expedtions working on our iPads by adding a new AirGroup service for _googexpeditions._tcp

I am running 6.4.4.9 with campus APs.

Brett W.
K-12
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎10-23-2013
Re: Google Expeditions

Thank you for the solution.  We have been troubleshooting expeditions within our district.  We are using vlan ip pools and seemed to be causing issues when clients had different network IP addresses.  This fixed that issue.  Thank you.

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎09-22-2014
Re: Google Expeditions

Thanks for posting, Brett!  Would you mind sharing more about the config you got Expeditions working with?  I'm having some trouble getting Expeditions working on our Aruba network.  The behavior I see is the teacher will open Expeditions on an Android or iOS device, enter Guide mode, create a class (e.g. download Mount Everest), click Start, and then on a student's Android or iOS device they go into Explorer mode but they never see the Guide.  I can get this working fine on an old Linksys WRT54G.  I cannot get Expeditions working on our campus Aruba controllers and AP's.

 

Here are some details about our infrastructure and the SSID I've been testing with: We have 7210 controllers, mostly AP-21x access points, and we're running code rev 6.4.3.9.  I created a separate SSID and VLAN isolated to a single controller for testing this without affecting our production SSID's and VLAN's.  I tried the following:

 

Created expeditions AirGroup service with service ID: _googexpeditions._tcp

 

airgroup service expeditions enable    
airgroupservice expeditions
     id _googexpeditions._tcp
     autoassociate apgroup
     description Google Expeditions

Verified that AirGroup was allowed for the VLAN

 

 

airgroup vlan 106 allow

Tried disabling auto associate

 

 

airgroupservice expeditions no autoassociate

Tried enabling IGMP snooping

 

 

interface vlan 106
interface vlan 106 ip igmp snooping

I tried various combinations of the broadcast / multicast options for the SSID.  It seems logical to me that the problem exists somewhere in the broadcast / multicast settings on the controllers.  The knob I was expecting to be blocking the traffic was Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast, but still no go.

 

 

wlan virtual-ap "Expeditions-vap_prof"
  no dynamic-mcast-optimization
  no broadcast-filter all
  no broadcast-filter arp

I also found a helpful blog post called "Running Google Expeditions on your Cisco Wireless" (https://www.rsaeks.com/?p=469) that suggested formatting the service string as "_googexpeditions._tcp.local." instead, and when I tried entering it that way the controller said "The format should be " _abc._tcp/udp, _abc-def._tcp/udp or urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1" so I guess Aruba controllers don't like the _local part.

 

Any ideas or replies are greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

 

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎09-22-2014
Re: Google Expeditions
[ Edited ]

I got it working!  I created a fresh VAP and SSID profile.  The settings are basically identical to what I was testing with, so I'm not sure why this one is working.  In any case, I'm still curious to see what other folks' configs look like.  Here's mine...

 

VAP:

 

wlan virtual-ap "Expeditions-vap_prof"
   aaa-profile "Expeditions-aaa_prof"
   ssid-profile "Expeditions-ssid_prof"
   vlan 106
   dynamic-mcast-optimization
   dynamic-mcast-optimization-thresh 80
   broadcast-filter arp

I created airgroup service for google expeditions (I disallow it on VLAN 1):

airgroupservice "expeditions"
  id "_googexpeditions._tcp"
  disallow-vlan "1"
  description "Google Expeditions"
  autoassociate "apgroup"

I made sure airgroup is allowed on vlan 106:

 

 

airgroup vlan 106 allow

Here is my VLAN config:

 

 

interface vlan 106
    ip address 10.6.10.62 255.255.0.0
    no suppress-arp
    operstate up
    bcmc-optimization

Here is my SSID profile:

wlan ssid-profile "Expeditions-ssid_prof"
   essid "Expeditions"
   opmode wpa2-psk-aes
   wpa-passphrase ***************

My aaa and user-role configs:

aaa profile "Expeditions-aaa_prof"
   initial-role "authenticated"
   authentication-dot1x "default"
   enforce-dhcp
!
user-role authenticated
 access-list session global-sacl
 access-list session apprf-authenticated-sacl
 access-list session ra-guard
 access-list session allowall
 access-list session v6-allowall

Happy exploring!

 

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎09-22-2014
Re: Google Expeditions

On my VAP I had to set no broadcast-filter all to make this stable. It seems to work fine with broadcast-filter arp enabled.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: