Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

2 Remote Access Points on a site

Hi!
What is the best way to deploy two Remote Access Points without a controller. I have come up with three alternatives

1. 2 separate RAP
2. One RAP and one Campus AP which set up a gre tunnel within the IPSEC
3. Remote Mesh

I see some limitations to these implementations like roaming.

does anyone have a good solution for this?
Aruba Employee

2 Remote Access Points on a site

IIRC, tunneling an AP through a RAP is not supported.

Probably your best supported method would be a RAP-5 and 2x IAP-105. Use the Aruba Instant 105 model to create your WLAN at this remote site (standalone). Use the RAP-5 to tunnel traffic back. This is the only solution I can think of without using a controller as a remote node or multiple RAPs.

Zach
Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Guru Elite

Re: 2 Remote Access Points on a site

IIRC, tunneling an AP through a RAP is not supported.

Probably your best supported method would be a RAP-5 and 2x IAP-105. Use the Aruba Instant 105 model to create your WLAN at this remote site (standalone). Use the RAP-5 to tunnel traffic back. This is the only solution I can think of without using a controller as a remote node or multiple RAPs.

Zach

+1 on the unsupported.
Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that a campus AP tunneled through a RAP is not supported, with one ore two AP.

Do we have a supported method?
Guru Elite

Your first option, 2 separate rap is probably the best way. Make sure that both are tunneling the traffic back to the controller on that SSID.
Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Thank you for prompt reply.
Will we have roaming between the two devices?
Guru Elite

If the Virtual AP that you have deployed is in tunnel mode, yes.
Contributor I

So to be clear.... :confused:

deploying multiple RAPs (most likely RAP5s) in tunnel mode at a single site (within wifi range of each other) is supported for data (might also include MS Lync traffic), wifi voice, or both?

thanks

Vinson
Guru Elite

Latency-sensitive peer to peer traffic could be a challenge in that scenario depending on the latency, but other data traffic should be fine.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: