Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

Campground Wi-Fi

I'm employed by a service provider and currently looking at how I can provide free and for-pay hotspot service at dozen or so remote locations. Rather than have a hotspot management product at each remote site, I would like to centralize management and control at our HQ. The hotspot product I'm looking at works best if I can bring in the traffic on a L2 basis.

I'm thinking of using an Aruba AP85TX with a static public IP address at each remote site (attached to one of our cable modems, DSL modems (RFC-1483), ONTs, or proprietary 5.3 GHz broadband wireless access gear) such that each AP connects back to the public IP address of our Aruba controller at HQ. I can then set up a separate VLAN for each remote site and trunk it to the hotspot product. The hotspot product would be doing DHCP for each VLAN.

Does anyone see any gotchas here?

Frank
Guru Elite

Campground Wifi

Frank,

No problems with your deployment. For power, the AP85-TX would need standard 802.3af POE or:

Aruba 85 Streetlight Power Tap Adaptor (8 ft): P/N AP-85-PT-1
Aruba 85 AC Power Provisioning Cable (3 ft; indoor rated): P/N AP-85-CBL-1
Aruba 85 Antenna Mount Bracket: P/N AP-85-MNT-1
Aruba 85 AC Power Cable (8 ft): P/N AP-85-CBL-2-S
Aruba 85 AC Power Cable (40 ft): P/N AP-85-CBL-3-S
Aruba 85 DC Power Cable (8 ft): P/N AP-85-CBL-4-S

If the antenna is outside:

Aruba Lightning Arrestor: P/N AP-LAR-1 for each antenna that is attached to it.

You would first provision it at your office location, then take it to the home location and it will function just like a RAP at the campground.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Campground Wi-Fi

Thanks, that's good to hear that it's a supported deployment approach.

Does Aruba have pictures/diagrams of the accessories?

Why does it need to be first deployed at the home office? If we were using DHCP or DNS, couldn't it be set up remotely?

To take it one step further, could we run an Aruba mesh off the AP85TX, to serve a separate group of camping spots 300' away?

Frank
Guru Elite

Campground

Frank,

There are pictures of the AP in the deployment guide on the support site under Documentation> Hardware> APs. Sorry for copying and pasting all the part numbers... they are all just power cords of different lengths if you were not deploying the AP85TX with poe.

The AP functionality you described is a license called remote AP (http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_RAP.pdf) that allows ANY access point to connect back to an Aruba Controller from behind any internet connection and function just like a campus-connected AP using IPSec. Since the AP uses IPSec, it requires credentials, which must be initially provisioned when the AP is campus-connected. You can certainly extend a VLAN wired and wirelessly to that location, as well.

The "remote mesh" functionality, which combines remote AP and mesh over the internet is not in the product yet. If you have a remote campground that requires mesh, you could deploy a 200 controller (http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/controllers/aruba-200.php), which can terminate a maximum of 8 meshed APs at the campground and do a site-to-site IPSec tunnel between the 200 and your central controller to tunnel management as well as user traffic. For your other locations that only require one AP, and remote AP would be fine for that.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for the links -- I've seen pictures of the AP, it's pictures of the accessories that I'm looking for.

Sounds like the "remote AP" functionality is for extending an organizational network over untrusted links. Since we're a service provider and it's running over own infrastructure, I trust all of it. :)

We're trying to stay away from controllers because of the extreme weather conditions. The Aruba 85 is a good fit because it's rated -30° to 55° C (-22° to 131° F).

Frank
Aruba

Campground Wi-Fi

Frank,

One of the most common uses of Remote AP is for 'untrusted' WANs, however there are other use cases that sometimes don't bubble to the surface immediately.

Among those (and as important as trust/no trust on WAN in most cases) is that the data forwarding method (tunnel, bridge, split-tunnel) is selectable on a Remote AP, it is not selectable with a standard (aka. Campus) AP license.

As an example, a RAP with split tunnel would allow you to deploy rule-sets at the APs to define what traffic you would like to see tunnel/traverse all the way back to the controller and be introduced to the LAN at that point, and which you would like to forward locally, forward to destinations directly instead of traversing to the controller first.

Without RAP, (aka standard AP mode) all traffic goes back to the controller for forwarding.

Jason

Good points, thanks.

Frank
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: