Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

Controllers for VIA User (Help)

Hi All,
My boss is being a cheap skate and won't buy a VIA licence for our M3 card. He has spoken to a company and the offered some smaller controllers which are cheaper to licence.

Problem I have is the following they say they do 512 connections or 256 connections for example but when looking at the data sheet that is active users and when you go further down its a lower number if its IPSec connections.

Would I be right in saying VIA uses IPSec connections not general user sessions.

The controllers are

Aruba A3200 - Claimed 512
Aruba 650 - Claimed 512
Aruba 620 - Claimed 256

The claimed part is by the business.

Any Help would be great.

Luke
Guru Elite

Re: Controllers for VIA User (Help)

Each via connection uses two user licenses. VIA is licensed in ArubaOS 6.1. in 6.0 it still comes along with the OS.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

So if they claim 512 user licence it could be 256?

We would like about 300 concurrent users connected into the network any idea's on controller...?

Also I would like to connect 10 RAP's to it, would these take up the same licences...?

And that's also interesting about the licence.

Thanks
Guru Elite

I am completely wrong; I apologize.

First, when you purchase the PEFV license, it is for the platform limit or the number of supported VPN connections. If you purchase PEFVPN for an a 600 or M3 it opens it up for the whole controller. Secondly, each VIA connection is one VPN client connection unless you are using SSL failback (most people use ipsec).

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I am confused.

Say I want to use a 650 Controller as the VPN system, the company are quoting that it can handle 512 client connections on the VPN.

I have looked at the datasheet and thats for normal clients. Then it says Concurrent IPsec tunnels 256. So is it VPN 256 or 512.

Hope that explains what I am after.

Luke
Guru Elite

On the datasheet for the 650/650 it says 512 ipsec tunnels, which is what each VIA client creates; which is also the platform limit for that device.

I get that from the datasheet here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_A650651.pdf

Colin Joseph

Sorry it was a A620 I was talking about. So they did get it wrong :D

Thanks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: