Remote Networking

Aruba Employee

Does anyone deploy RAP without PEF

Hi all,

My customer would like deploy RAP, but that don't want buy PEF license.

May i known what features can not be use, and the way of deployment.

Customer thinking using AP61 or RAP 5
Guru Elite

Rap without PEF

You can deploy RAP without PEF, but you cannot set the WLAN or LAN to split-tunnel or bridge. All traffic will have to be tunneled back to the controller. Split-Tunnel and bridge mode require PEF; wired and wireless.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: Does anyone deploy RAP without PEF

How about captive portal can be configure?
Guru Elite

Captive Portal

Yes, you can.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: Does anyone deploy RAP without PEF

Sorry about commenting on an old post, but I found this interesting. Back from the beta for RAP, information was that users were counted in PEF for tunnel and split-tunnel, not bridge. Since user traffic in bridge mode didn't go back to the controller they didn't get counted. Did that change or was that documentation incorrect?

Regardless, now that 5.0 licensing is out there, how is NG-PEF usage affected by the forwarding modes?
Guru Elite

Users in bridge mode are not counted from a licensing perspective. ArubaOS 5.0 no longer has user-based licenses, so that does not matter. PEFNV is now licensed per AP, in 5.0 instead of per user.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: