Occasional Contributor II

Home RAP

We are rolling out a RAP solution with RAP2s & RAP5s. One thing we want to try and offer is a RAP as a replacement to a home wireless router. The idea is that the RAP would broadcast a couple of our Corporate SSIDs but would also broadcast a local SSIDs for the user’s home use. The local SSID would not be able to access the Corporate network and would just use the user’s internet other resources on the local subnet. The trouble I have having is, what vlan do I map the SSID to? I don’t really want to map it to our Corporate vlan and when I map it to our Guest SSID, it redirects to the Captive Portal. Do I need to create new vlan on the controller, that won't even be used?

Thanks.
Aruba

Home RAP

You are on the right track.

1. Create separate VLAN. This separate (NEW) VLAN WILL be used for the 'family' or 'homeuse' SSID/ports.
2. Configure the DHCP server within the Remote AP (RAP) to provide addressing in this VLAN.
3. Set the forwarding mode on this SSID / the ports to 'bridge' (that way they never leave each person's/residence's RAP)

Re: Home RAP

I have a similar question. I would like to set up a separate SSID for this Home RAP (the only SSID on the RAP and no Corporate). and I would like for them to only have Internet Access.
What is the best solution for this?
The RAP would get a public ip address from the ppoe-modem, but what about the clients? What is the best solution for DHCP and DNS and in which forwarding mode?

Thankfull for any help I can get
Aruba

Home RAP

Use the strategy below (Bridge mode forwarding) and the client DHCP addressing would come from the local RAP itself.

That should work and keep this traffic 'separate' from your other corporate traffic.

Re: Home RAP

You are on the right track.

1. Create separate VLAN. This separate (NEW) VLAN WILL be used for the 'family' or 'homeuse' SSID/ports.
2. Configure the DHCP server within the Remote AP (RAP) to provide addressing in this VLAN.
3. Set the forwarding mode on this SSID / the ports to 'bridge' (that way they never leave each person's/residence's RAP)

Thanks jfernyc. I got it to work. Only thing extra thing I had to do was create an ACL to src-nat. Otherwise it work perfectly.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: