Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

License question

Just to confirm, if I take a 3600 that supports 128 campus APS, i have to add more licenses to it to support Remote APs??? I have not understood that very well...So for an AP to function it requires a license for it no matter? In other words if I put 512 licenses on a 3600 i could then get 512 RAPs? So i can add more licenses that a controller will support and the over flow will show up as available RAPs? That 4 to 1 is a bit confusing...thanks,
Guru Elite

Re: License question

1 rap = 1 license
1 campus ap = 1 license

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

The way to think about this is that every AP, not matter how it functions, requires an AP license. We have increased capacity on the RAP side because the data plane traffic is smaller, remote access lines being slower than an enterprise network. There is a chapter on licensing in the Mobility Controller VRD at http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd that might help you out.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Occasional Contributor II

So i definitely understand the one to one ratio...but what puzzles me is that a 620 supports 8 APs, but 32 RAPs

So I have added temp licenses before and by default that is like 2048 but only the max AP count for the controller shows up....my real question is how do I apply or get the extra recognized RAP licenses on the controller.

An example out of one of my controllers?

Total AP Licenses 128
AP Licenses Used 43
MUX Licenses Used 0
Unused AP Licenses 85
Total RAP Licenses 128
RAP Licenses Used 21

85 and 43 = 128 so how and what pool of licenses are being pulled by the RAPs?
cause i would expect that i am actually using 43 and 21 = 64 of the 128, which would leave me only another 64 and not 85?
Aruba Employee

We used to have two separate licenses, RAP and CAP, which have been merged into AP licenses. The difference in the amount of APs is again due to the data plane requirements being less for RAPs vs. CAPs. A RAP simply cannot push as much data across the WAN as a campus connected AP on a gig link internally.

The numbers are scaled in a 4:1 ration for most controllers other than the M3. To calculate your capacity use roundup(RAP count / 4) + CAP count <= CAP Limit. if I have 14 RAPs on a 620 with an 8 AP capacity I can have either 18 more RAPs (max capacity) or if I'm mixing I can use the calculation to get 14/4 = 3.5, rounded up to 4. 8-4 gives me 4 more CAP capacity on the controller.

Please take a read through the VRD on the licensing models at http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: