Remote Networking

JYL
Occasional Contributor II

Local Network Access on RAP

I have branches with printers right now they are all configure for Tunnel.

the problem is the User on the remote branch is complaining about the slow print well because the forwarding mode is tunnel it has to go all to the controller then to the printer.

if I enable the Local Access Network and change the forwarding mode on the ports to split-tunel. will the User notebook and the printer can communicate without going to the controller?

is the Local Network Access will work only on split-tunnel and the other port (printer) should be on bridge mode? Or if all ports are in split-tunnel I will meet my requirement to print directly to the printer?

thanks
Joey
Guru Elite

Re: Local Network Access on RAP

I have branches with printers right now they are all configure for Tunnel.

the problem is the User on the remote branch is complaining about the slow print well because the forwarding mode is tunnel it has to go all to the controller then to the printer.

if I enable the Local Access Network and change the forwarding mode on the ports to split-tunel. will the User notebook and the printer can communicate without going to the controller?

is the Local Network Access will work only on split-tunnel and the other port (printer) should be on bridge mode? Or if all ports are in split-tunnel I will meet my requirement to print directly to the printer?

thanks
Joey

The short answer is Yes.

In tunnel mode, the AP only sees encrypted traffic, so it cannot make decisions. If you switch to split-tunnel, you don't have to change your addressing scheme and you can enable Local Access network and the AP will know who is connected and send traffic directly to clients, even if they are on different subnets.

That will certainly deal with your issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

JYL

Thanks Joseph

to clarify so all my ports will be split-tunnel mode?

Joey
Guru Elite

Only the ports that have devices that you want to communicate with each other locally.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

JYL

Thanks Joseph

a followup question:

if you dont have a user to test with you how do you validate the communication between the two ports in split-tunnel communicates directly through RAP any controller commands?

also how to check if the ports on the RAP is connected is negotiated at100 full? any commands on the controller?

thanks

J
Guru Elite

You would ping from a device on the RAP to a device on the infrastructure. Next, ping from a device on the RAP to another device on the same RAP, but on a different subnet. The second ping should be less than the first.

Type "show ap debug system status ap-name ":

(host) # show ap debug system-status ip-addr 192.168.1.195 | begin Ethernet
Ethernet Duplex/Speed Settings
------------------------------
Autoneg Speed (Mbps) Duplex Iface
------- ------------ ------ -----
on 1000 Full bond0

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

i have something similar, all rhe RAPS config are in tunnel mode because tmy customers want to control the internet traffic and bloked by a Fortinet Firewall, so all the traffic comes to the controller, but in the branch they have printers and local server, how can i made to route the local traffic only in the brack without backward the traffic to the controller and push it again to the brach?
If have change the tunnel mode to split tunnel my custoner then dontd have control and blockin the internet traffic on the brach right?

What suggestion do you have for this?
Guru Elite

If you have that problem, then read this thread, because it offers the solution.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: