Remote Networking

New Contributor

Make a RAP5 work like a cheap linksys router

Ok, maybe I am missing something here, but we are running into a configuration issue that we can not seem to resolve. What we effectively want to have happen is I deploy a RAP5 to a remote office, and have it work like a $60 router I buy at the big box store. I want to be able to plug a device (printer, file server, desktop machine, etc) into the ethernet ports and have them available to both wired and wireless clients with the secure tunnel back to our home office. We originally ran into an issue where wired clients could see resources at the home office, wired devices could see resources at the home office, but a wireless client could not see the wired printer sitting next to them. We have gotten the configuration set so that the wireless client can see the wired printer, but if I plug a desktop into the rap, it can not see the printer, or anything else.

What I want to ask is can anybody explain at a high level what needs to be set to allow this to work the way we want. Any time we work with support personel, we spend so much time picking through the weeds that I am having a hard time understanding the theory of what is going on here.
Guru Elite

Re: Make a RAP5 work like a cheap linksys router

As was discussed with your team, your current version of code has an issue where the ACLs propagated to the RAP denies local traffic. This is bug 45777 which is fixed with an upgrade to ArubaOS 5.0.3.1

Please let us know if and when you an upgrade to this code and if you have, are you seeing the same issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanks, Colin.

I gues the crux of my question is if there is a simple, high level documentation/flowchart of how these are to be configured. When you guys come in to hlep us, we bounce through so many screens to get something configured that we do not fully understand what is going on behind the scenes. Unfortunately, the manuals do not help us much. They dive right into the nitty-gritty, without exlaining the theory. At least, we have not been able to find a theoretical explanation. I get the feeling they were written for a CCNA, and not general administrator who has been put in charge of the system.
Guru Elite

You are right: the rules that permit and deny traffic locally are similar to firewall rules, so you are quite right about the CCNA level of understanding. In your situation, we have to bridge traffic from your trusted wireless network to an untrusted local network, so we have to enable split tunneling to protect the traffic on the trusted side.. If you email me your logs.tar, I can break down the config for you.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: