Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor I

RAP-5 Taking A Long Time To Fail Over from Cell

Hello,

I'm just testing out the failover from Wired to Cell, and from Cell to Wired, with a RAP-5 in the office.

If I start with the RAP5 plugged in to the local network, and with the 3G modem installed, it will use Wired port 0 to connect to the internet and controller. The 3G modem will not be active.

If I then unplug the LAN connection, it activates the 3G modem, and reconnects to the controller. It has a big C in its status on the controller. I've seen this take up to a minute, but it usually only takes 30 seconds or so.

If I then replug the LAN connection, after what seems like 30 minutes passes, or after a re-provision/reboot, it will disable the USB 3G modem, and once again use the LAN. It may or may not update the controller to not have the "C" in the AP list.

My coworker informed me, however, that he got it to work both ways, and it only took about 30 seconds. I cannot replicate that.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is there a way I can adjust how long it takes for it to fail over?

And also, I noticed that the User Guide has commands for the controller 3G connection, but they don't appear to work on the RAP5. Are there any commands I can use to interact with the RAP5?

I wish it had a serial port!

Thanks for your time,

Fred
Guru Elite

RAP5 failover

The RAP5 failover from wired to 3g should take between 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on how long it takes to initialize the modem. Failback should take 10 minutes, but ONLY if wired has been provisioned with higher priority than 3g. This is not configurable at this time.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: RAP-5 Taking A Long Time To Fail Over from Cell

That is the behaviour I am seeing, thanks for the response.

Are you saying that it is not configurable to reduce the fail-back time, from 3G to LAN/WAN, from 10 minutes to anything else?

Is this feature expected to be added in a future release?

Thanks again,

-Fred
Guru Elite

Not configurable at this time

It is not configurable at this time. If you want, we can submit a request for enhancement so that it is.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: RAP-5 Taking A Long Time To Fail Over from Cell

Definitely. Given the choice between configurable and not configurable, why choose the less flexible option? : )

-Fred
Guru Elite

Request for Enhancement

Request for Enhancement 1513 has been filed. Please follow up with your local Aruba Systems engineer.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: