Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

RAP-DHCP split-mode

Hi all,

when using a split-tunnel forward mode, is it still possible to have the local RAP-DHCP providing IP addresses for clients?

I don't know where I read it, but I somehow have the impression that the local RAP-DHCP works only in bridge mode.

I would like to set split-tunnel but the RAP to provide IP addresses and not the controller, as there's no DHCP server on the remote site and I still would like to issue IPs even with no connection to the controller.

And second question, if that were possible, still in split-mode, in case of loss connection to the controller, the SSIDs goes down but what about wired ports?
Are they still able to source-NAT local traffic at least?

thank,

Massimo
Guru Elite

Re: RAP-DHCP split-mode

Yes it can. Make sure:

- Your wired AP profile forwarding mode is set to bridged
- The VLAN in the Wired AP profile for those ports matches the Remote-AP-DHCP-Server-VLAN in the AP system profile

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Yes it can. Make sure:

- Your wired AP profile forwarding mode is set to bridged
- The VLAN in the Wired AP profile for those ports matches the Remote-AP-DHCP-Server-VLAN in the AP system profile

Sorry, if I understand right,
what you are saying is that Local DHCP only works in "bridge" mode....,
so no chance to have split-tunnel and local dhcp, am I correct?
Guru Elite

That is correct.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks,

I'm trying to find the best alternative, as I need split tunnel but I also need the maximum survaivability when the connection to the controller is down.

We said local DHCP is not possible with split-tunnel, then I can configure static IP addresses, the question is,

when the connection with the controller should go down, what happens to the wired-ap port in split-tunnel mode?
is the RAP still doing source nat?

I did a very quick test simulating this scenario and I saw disconnection on the Ethernet port as soon as the controller went down and something like intermittent ping reply from the local LAN....

Do you have any clearer view of this?

thanks a lot!
Guru Elite

You can make the wired port tunnel OR split tunnel where the headend controller will provide DHCP for that local site.

You can also enable the "Remote-AP Backup" parameter in the "Ethernet interface x port configuration" and if the controller cannot be reached, it will allow all traffic out to the internet, regardless of the ip address of the client.

This will allow you to provide DHCP using your infrastructure and still pass traffic if the controller cannot be reached. The AP will even provide DHCP if the controller is down, and pass traffic to the internet with the "Remote-AP Backup" parameter enabled for that interface.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: