Remote Networking

Contributor I

RAP Problems, Licensing?

Hey All,

I'm pretty new to Aruba so bear with me here. I have a controller with the following licensing:

License Table
-------------
Wireless Intrusion Protection Module: 4
xSec Module: 64
Power Over Ethernet
Access Points: 4
Policy Enforcement Firewall for VPN users
Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module: 8

Now I am trying to connect an AP105 as a RAP, but am getting a blinking power light and solid Ethernet light. I know the AP105 is talking back to the controller at home via NAT-T (UDP 4500) as I am sniffing the traffic. My hunch is I can't connect until I purchase a separate RAP license. Can someone confirm and tell me the best way in the CLI or GUI to determine when there is a problem due to licensing?

Adv(thanks)ance
Guru Elite

Re: RAP Problems, Licensing?

What version of OS do you have and what method are you using to provision the AP105 as a RAP. ArubaOS 5 and above do not require separate licenses for RAPS.

Type "show keys" on the commandline to see exactly what you have and what is enabled.

Type "show ap license-usage" on the commandline to see what is in use.

If That AP comes up and you are out of licenses, you should be able to do a "show ap database" and see the "L" flag next to your access point.

Did any Remote Access Point ever work?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks for clearing up the licensing question. I am on 5.0.2 and "show keys" shows me that I do not need RAP licensing:

Licensed Features
-----------------
Feature Status
------- ------
Access Points 8
Remote Access Points 8
~~~
Remote APs ENABLED
~~~
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"show ap license-usage"

Total AP Licenses : 8
AP Licenses Used : 1
~~~
Unused AP Licenses : 7
Licenses used for Campus AP's : 1
Available Campus AP's : 3
Licenses used for Remote AP's : 0
Available Remote AP's : 3
~~~

I never saw the L flag under "show ap database" either. I have tried provisioning the AP105s via the Wizard with Administrator-provisioned and User-provisioned. Neither worked. I also have tried a few times with manual provisioning using IKE PSK and AP credentials. Again, I see bi-directional traffic to my controller, but the power light is blinking. Also, I have never had any RAPs or APs configured as RAPs work before. Never tried before now.

*Also as a side note I'm guessing you need an actually RAP, not an AP (e.g. AP105) to do the User-provisioning and that the OS on the RAPs is slightly different...to allow for some Web config (where you enter the master IP, etc)?

THANKS!
Guru Elite

In the ArubaOS user guide there is a chapter on remote access points. Depending on your setup, there are a number of ways to configure it. Please start with that chapter so you can be aware of your options. There are infrastructure considerations that the Wizard may not take into account.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

I did a deeper dive into the traffic between the AP and controller and found out the AP keeps reporting back to the controller with:

"dnsmasq: failed to load names from /etc/ld_eth_hosts: Too many open files"

I have reviewed the chapter and will continue to research, but has anyone come across this before?
Guru Elite

That particular issue is fixed in ArubaOS 5.0.3.1

Please upgrade your controller to that version of code, boot the access point to the controller and provision it from there.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: