Remote Networking

Frequent Contributor I

RAP Provisioning

I am curious how others are handling their RAP provisioning. We are ramping up our deployment of RAP2's with Avaya 9650's connected to the wired port using a power brick for home offices. We are looking at a deployment in the hundreds and perhaps eventually thousands. The design and maintenance belongs with the network engineers, however it is challenging to hand off the other tasks to perhaps the help desk. Aruba does not currently have a login that only gives access to RAP whitelist and Local DB. If they did then I could provide the necessary access to them. I am wondering how others are handling large deployments from a logistical standpoint. Are you whitelisting and using MAC auth? If so who does it?

Thanks
Aruba

Two Approaches

The approach I typically use/recommend:

1) "pre" White list all devices by using a barcode scanner to get all the mac addresses required into electronic format,
2) reformat using Excel to the syntax required to paste into the Aruba CLI
3) paste into the Aruba CLI on the controller
4) prepare a 'one pager' with screen shots that outlines the steps required to get a RAP-2 (or RAP-5) operational with zero IT touch provisioning
5) educate the helpdesk (or any group) as to the contents of the one pager referenced above
6) helpdesk and/or other authorized personnel can now connect their devices when warranted.

The downfall of the approach is there needs to be a way to track who has which RAP-2... so either a re-naming is required post deployment, or this can be tracked in a spreadsheet to correlate name of the owner/AP name (have done both models).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: