Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor I

RAP with split tunnel and WPA2 failing first time authenticating

I am using the RAP2s, with WPA2 and I am running 5.0.0.0 code. The problem I have is that most of the time I try to connect it fails the first time, but when I try the 2nd time it usually works. This happens to everyone that is testing out the RAP2s for me. We have increased the dot1x timers to 2000ms and that has helped but it still fails often. Is this a common issue?
Aruba Employee

Re: RAP with split tunnel and WPA2 failing first time authenticating

Hi Tom - I have quite a few users on RAPs and have not seen that issue. What exactly is failing? User authentication?
Occasional Contributor I

Yes they do not seem to get the response in time, even though we have increased the timeout. This is only affecting Macs, win machines do not have the issue.
Aruba Employee

There are a few bugs that were fixed in 5.0.2.0 related to .1x, PSK, and WPA2. The release notes say that they are related to bridge mode, but I ran into these bugs in split-tunnel as well. I ran into these only with certain wifi cards...some were effected, some weren't.
Guru Elite

This may be what you are looking for

You might be running into this problem -
"Whenever an MacBook reboots, after the MacBook comes up, AirPort will start running automatically in the background even the user has not logged into the MacBook. If the user has login before the AirPort asks the dot1x password for the network, a pop out window will show up, and the user can input the password. However, if the user login after the AirPort asks the dot1x password, the pop out window will not show up, and the AirPort will just stick there until manually repair"

To work around this, it is suggested that you change the idrequest timer to 3 and, and the max-requests to 2 in the dot1x profile:

config t
aaa authentication dot1x
timer idrequest_period 3
max-requests 2

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: