Remote Networking

Frequent Contributor I

RAP2 Bootstraps

I currently have around 130 RAP2's deployed with Avaya 9650 series IP phones wired off of them. I frequently hear complaints about the phones buttons not working and not being able to hang up the call etc. My hunch is that this may be loss of control traffic over the internet or perhaps a brief loss of connectivity to the phone system. When I do a show ap details I notice some raps have 50+ bootsraps over a 5-10 day period. My threshold is set to 16. I am wondering if others are seeing bootstraps and if so what is considered normal and what would be the user experience during a bootsrap.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Re: RAP2 Bootstraps

You should type "show log system x" and "show ap debug counters" to see when your access points boostrap and which ones. RAPs in ArubaOS 5.x and below send a heartbeat every second for every VAP and wired interface and rebootstrap when they miss a number of hertbeats in a row. What that means is if all those access points are sending a heartbeat at the same time, and there is congestion so that your uplink to your controller cannot receive all of those heartbeats combined with the traffic at the same time, some of those access points will miss heartbeats. ArubaOS 6.x has a more efficient method that sends fewer heartbeats and has less overhead thatn 5.x and below, and IF your problem is because of heartbeats, it could improve your performance. Since RAP performance + VOIP is a compound issue, you shoud use the guidance of TAC or your local Aruba Engineering team to ensure that you can do everything that you can to ensure that your deployment is working as efficiently as possible.

My suggestion is that you deploy a 6.x controller if you can, parallel to the 5.x controller that you have to determine if that is your best course of action.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks cjoseph, another strange issue is that the phone take about 60 seconds to get dial tone but only for the first call. It is almost like the connectivity goes idle temorarily. Have you ever heard if this issue with RAP's?
Guru Elite

I will let others speak about that, because I have not heard about that specifically. Support will probably have you do a wired packet capture with a hub to get to the bottom of that.

The general question is, what is the recovery process of the phone when there is a disruption that does not involve a link flapping.:...?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base