Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

RAP2 ending up in the sys-ap-role and staying inactive for a long time

I've a setup with various RAP2 with some strange problems. The strange thing is that everything works fine with the configured ap group till I provision the RAP2 as RemoteAP with global username and password. The RAP2 is in this case still coming up but is staying inactive ("I" flag set) for several minutes. After this it seems to work fine and the "I" flag disappears. This is the case if the RAP2 and the controller are in the same subnet.

If the RAP is in the Internet and if there is a firewall inbetween which is doing NAT and lets only pass port udp 4500 from outside, it looks like the RAP2 stays inactive forever. This despite of the fact, that the RAP2 is actually coming up, is able to connect to the controller. In this case only a hard reset is solving the problem and the RAP2 is doing a "upgrading" cycle afterwards.

I recognized that the RAP2 is getting the user role "sys-ap-role" instead of the one configured in the internal database for its username and password. The authentication method is "VPN". Could that be the problem? Or what else could be the reason to create this behavior?

I'm using legacy hardware with release 5.0.2.1.

Thank you for reading through all this and for any advice in advance.
Guru Elite

Re: RAP2 ending up in the sys-ap-role and staying inactive for a long time

When the RAP has received an "internal" ip address, do a "show datapath session table " to see if any traffic is denied. Also post the output of "show rights logon" and "show rights sys-ap-role"

Please also check out the knowledgebase article on RAP troubleshooting here: http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=428

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: RAP2 ending up in the sys-ap-role and staying inactive for a long time

Hi Colin
Thank you for this. I'm going to have a look into it.
Have a nice day.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: