Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor I

RAP5 to 650 Controller - slow 802.11g over tunnel

I seem to be experiencing "slow" performance using a RAP5 and wireless 802.11g.

Observed results:
1. Using our internally hosted speedtest software - my client wired to a port on the RAP5 can achieve ~10Mbps download speed (the expected rate). This is running split-tunnel back to the site.
2. Using a "tunnel" SSID, this same client can achieve ~3Mbps download speed.
3. Using a "split-tunnel" SSID, this same client can achieve ~3Mbps download speed.
4. Using a "split-tunnel" SSID, this same client can achieve ~6Mbps download speed to speed test site, not in the tunnel and not hosted by us (The Speakeasy site in Chicago).
5. Using a "decrypt-tunnel" SSID, this same client can achieve ~3Mbps download speed.

All of the SSIDs are using WPA2-PSK.

In all of these scenarios, my client is the only one connected to this AP and when connected via wireless it shows as being connected at 54Mbps (the RAP is within 10 feet of me).

Immediately after testing wifi, I test using a separate wired client, and consistently see the 10 Mpbs rate. I have flip-flopped the wired/wireless clients - with similar results for rates.

I am using:
-650 Controller
-Version 5.0.2.0

I have tried the following:
# broadcast-filter arp
# broadcast-filter all
# Limiting to "g" only
... though because of the results in #4 above, I tend to believe it's not a wireless issue, but more of a WPA/tunnel encryption overhead kind of thing.
# Enabled/Disabled "double-encrypt"
# Reloading the controller

Also, FWIW, I have tried this same test with two different RAP2 devices and achieved a similar disparity between the wired and wireless side. Overall performance on both sides was much lower.

Has anyone seen similar results? Any thoughts on how to solve this issue?
Aruba Employee

Re: RAP5 to 650 Controller - slow 802.11g over tunnel

One thing, you mentioned WPA2-PSK, are you running it as TKIP or mixed mode? That would explain why your client is only seeing 54 mbps. You should make sure you're using AES to get the wireless speed up.

As to the speed tests, I haven't heard that before on the RAPs personally, support might be able to help with more details about the setup and test tool. It would also help to know what the user roles look like, wired vs. wireless. Is it the same role? Any rate limiting on the wireless side?

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Occasional Contributor I

Andy - thanks for your thoughts on the issue. The AP was actually setup to run only WPA2-PSK-AES and the 'split-tunnel' role was the same in both wired/wireless.

Unfortunately/oddly - this actually ended up being a driver issue on the HP laptops I was testing with. I introduced a Dell laptop with updated 802.11g drivers and I was getting the same speeds as my wired devices. I then updated the HP laptop drivers and obtained 'correct' speeds. Odd behavior for sure.
Aruba Employee

Sadly not all that odd :)

Drivers are responsible for more pain in wireless than anyone wants to talk about. Glad you got it sorted out though.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: