Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

RAP5WN no provisionning

Do you know about any problem with RAP5WN connection to the controller?. I have a RAP2WG working fine in the same link with AOS 6.1.2 and also have the MAC addresses in the controller whitelist but when i connect the 5WN instead the 2WG all i have in rap console is that is updating the image but remains there and when i reboot the rap never comes up. Any help will be appreciated. Please find logs attached. Thanks
Guru Elite

Re: RAP5WN no provisionning

cmorales,

It looks like that AP has 3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1 code on it. A release note in 6.1.2.1 says that Rap5s with that version of code, cannot work with 6.2.1. The workaround is to boot that RAP5WN to a controller with 5.X code and "apflash" it. After that, it will work with 6.1.2 and above. The procedure to do APflash on code 5.x is here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=2151

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

What is you don't have access to a 5.x controller?
Guru Elite

You need to open a support case. Very few of those access points exist anymore. This situation arises ONLY if you are trying to Zero touch provision an AP with "RN" code to a controller with 6.1.2.1. AP is already provisioned using the controller, you can ignore this.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I've already dealt with the TAC on this issue, and there is an easy fix to get your RAP5 working.

Edit the 'control' policy of the System Role 'ap-role'.
Add 'any any svc-ftp permit' anywhere and commit.

This allows the RAP5 to connect, upgrade it's firmware, and come online properly.

The main issue is the ap firmware image for 6.1.2.1 is too large for the tftp client on the RAP5.
That's why your RAP5 doesn't upgrade properly.
Adding FTP will allow the RAP5 to download the image properly.
Guru Elite

I've already dealt with the TAC on this issue, and there is an easy fix to get your RAP5 working.

Edit the 'control' policy of the System Role 'ap-role'.
Add 'any any svc-ftp permit' anywhere and commit.

This allows the RAP5 to connect, upgrade it's firmware, and come online properly.

The main issue is the ap firmware image for 6.1.2.1 is too large for the tftp client on the RAP5.
That's why your RAP5 doesn't upgrade properly.
Adding FTP will allow the RAP5 to download the image properly.

Not true. The Zero-Touch RAP5 on the "RN" code was only hardcoded to only accept an image of a certain size back in the day. The 6.1.2.1 image has gotten larger than that over time. Adding ftp to the ap-role, (which is already there in 6.1.2.1. by the way), does nothing for an AP on RN code that will reject an image that size. The only cure is to use the apflash method, which upgrades the Zero Touch provisioning image on a controller on ArubaOS v5 (not v6). While no RAP5s are produced with "RN" Zero Touch code anymore, there are still a few out there. The 5.x Zero Touch code added 3G modem as well as Static IP and PPPOE provisioning to APs, as well as removed the size limit check previously mentioned. Many people did the APflash just to get those features and a side effect of this is that they avoided the image size limit of 6.1.2.1. Any body else should contact support to obtain the most efficient way to deal with this issue.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Colin is on the right track...it is all about "when did yo buy your RAP"?

We are mainly a RAP customer and purchased most of our RAP2 / 5s a few years ago. They were all shipped with 3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1 code on the backup flash. While we started on RN code, we are now running 5.x code BUT that does not upgrade the backup flash unless you issue the "apflash" command.

While we have made several additional RAP purchases over the last two years, there is not way to tell what code is on the units we have in inventory. I guess is that there is a mix RAPs with old & new code on the backup flash.

My biggest concern is that when we upgrade to 6.x is the fall we will not have any 5.x controllers left in the environment to help upgrade any "older" RAPs we may try to deploy.

Is there a serial # range that customers can look for and know the units were shipped with the newer version of code on the backup flash?
Guru Elite

Colin is on the right track...it is all about "when did yo buy your RAP"?

We are mainly a RAP customer and purchased most of our RAP2 / 5s a few years ago. They were all shipped with 3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1 code on the backup flash. While we started on RN code, we are now running 5.x code BUT that does not upgrade the backup flash unless you issue the "apflash" command.

While we have made several additional RAP purchases over the last two years, there is not way to tell what code is on the units we have in inventory. I guess is that there is a mix RAPs with old & new code on the backup flash.

My biggest concern is that when we upgrade to 6.x is the fall we will not have any 5.x controllers left in the environment to help upgrade any "older" RAPs we may try to deploy.

Is there a serial # range that customers can look for and know the units were shipped with the newer version of code on the backup flash?

If you type show ap image version while the rap is connected, it will tell you what the backup partition is. Once it OS apflashed, you do not have to do anything else.

Colin Joseph

Rap5wn

Thanks to everyone involved, your comments where very valuable in order to fix the problem, my RAP5WN is now working with 6.1.2 os, i took the suggestion to load image from a controller with 5.0 os and was successful, after that i changed the boot partition in the controller to 6.1.2 and reboot the RAP and loaded the new image without problem.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: