Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor I

Turn off DHCP on the AP

How do you turn off DHCP on a RAP when the RAP loses connection to the controller.
I found this on the IOS user guide. Enter the VLAN ID for the remote AP DHCP VLAN in the AP system profile. This VLAN enables the DHCP server on the AP (also known as the remote AP DHCP server VLAN). If you enter the native VLAN ID, the DHCP server is not configured and is unavailable. (not sure what they mean here "Native VLAN)

I'm running 5.0.3.3 on the controller. I have a RAP5wn.

I have DHCP running on my router and I want it to provide IP addresses to the local device. Wired and Wireless is configured for bridge mode. Everything works fine when the RAP can communicate with the controller. Devices on both wired and wireless get the proper IP addresses on different VLANS.

When I simulate a WAN failure by blocking the RAP from the controller. It looks like the controller reboots and starts handing out the default IP addresses 192.168.11.X on the wired side. I haven't tested wireless because it just diappears even though I have a VAP configured as backup (I work on fixing that later).

I want to keep the RAP from intercepting and handling DHCP requests. How do I turn if off.

Thanks
Mike
Guru Elite

Re: Turn off DHCP on the AP

In the Ethernet interface x port configuraton, uncheck Remote-AP-Backup.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Any better options for this?

Hi,

I'm about to log a ticket for this. I toyed with that "no rap-backup" option, but it's not ideal. This is because it's not a persistent setting. i.e. if the RAP is cold booted, it starts handing out DHCP again until it contacts the controller. This isn't so good if the customer uses a switch out the back of a RAP to connect client PCs.

Cheers.
Jake C - ACMX 104
Guru Elite

Re: Turn off DHCP on the AP

It should be a persistent setting. Please log a case.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: