Remote Networking

Using barcode scanner to import MAC addresses into Whitelist

A few days ago I was staring at over 200 RAP-2WG's that needed to be provisioned. I quickly decided that typing in all of those MAC addresses would drive me insane. So I ordered a USB barcode scanner (NuScan 1000U - $66 from Amazon - I have no relationship w/ Amazon or Adesso) and figured I would scan the MAC address barcode that is printed on the outside of the box into an Excel spreadsheet and use the Import function in the AP Wizard.

The only problem was that the MAC address printed on the box (and AP) doesn't have the colons after each pair of digits and the controller requires colons in the whitelist. I checked with out Operations folks to see if they could add the colons to the sticker but they said it would make the barcode too long for most scanners. So it looks like we're stuck with this little inconsistency.

My first instinct was to go for Excel. I'm sure there are several ways to have Excel reformat the MAC cells but here's how I did it:

=CONCATENATE(MID(A1,1,2),":",MID(A1,3,2),":",MID(A1,5,2),":",MID(A1,7,2),":",MID(A1,9,2),":",MID(A1,11, 2))

You place this formula into the cell where you want the correctly formatted MAC address to appear and this assumes the scanned one is in Cell A1. If all your scanned ones are in the "1" column you can do a "bottom-right" cell drag on the formula cell and it will automatically adjust the source cells.
--
Christopher Leach - CISSP, ACDX, ACMX
Director, Training and Certification
Guru Elite

Nice!

Chris,

That's Awesome! How do you like that particular barcode scanner?

Thanks!

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Using barcode scanner to import MAC addresses into Whitelist

Chris,

That's Awesome! How do you like that particular barcode scanner?

Thanks!

It's working great. It's a "contact" scanner so you have to practically touch the box w/ the head but it reads quickly. Just wish it had a larger head to be able to read Aruba license certificates :D
--
Christopher Leach - CISSP, ACDX, ACMX
Director, Training and Certification
Guru Elite

Mac address delimiter Issue

Chris,

I was told that a later version of RN code will accept both delimited and non-delimited MAC addresses.... So I guess somebody was listening to you...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

I ran into this same issue with the bulk provisioning of regular AP's. ap-rename command should take undelimited text too! Luckily local Excel GURU wrote a macro to take care of it for me! I like your idea of a simple cell formula. Much more flexible.
Occasional Contributor II

Is the Wizard the only way to import the mac's?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: