Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

VIA Client losing Connection Profile and Going back to the Default

As said in the title, have VIA running sweet as now. Problem

I have is I got the standard default for most of our staff and special one that allows access to our management VLAN's and some other things. But I download the IT one if I close VIA and then I get the default one and got to clear the profiles off the PC and redo the download.

Any tips on what to look at for and what could be the possible causes.
Guru Elite

Re: VIA Client losing Connection Profile and Going back to the Default

The connection profiles should not change, but if you login to the computer as a different person, it will change. Are different people logging into the machine?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

No just me its like it can't read the rule then falls back to the default profile but its hit and miss.

Guru Elite

:confused:

Let me make sure I understand:

- You have a default profile configured
- You have other profiles configured
- You download the other profiles based on who is logged into the machine
- When you log out, somehow only the default profile appears

Does that describe it?

Does this happen when only one person logs into the Via client?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

:confused:

Let me make sure I understand:

- You have a default profile configured
- You have other profiles configured
- You download the other profiles based on who is logged into the machine
- When you log out, somehow only the default profile appears

Does that describe it?

Does this happen when only one person logs into the Via client?

Hi,
Yes that is exactly right, it seems to happen if I either cancel the connection half way though it won't pick up my profile or some times if I disconnect and reconnect some time later.
Guru Elite

When you install the VIA client, it downloads the profiles and those profiles should not change, unless you changed something on the controller, or if you login with a different users, who has different profiles.

Colin Joseph

Right I have investigated, if I clear the profile I download what I call it_via_profile. Once connected I get a new thing in the log saying downloaded profile. If I then close down the via client and reopen it. It prompts to to login and then my connection profile is the normal staff one and not my IT one.
Guru Elite

When you startup the VIA client, and you login, you only need one profile, just to point to the controller. When you put in your username and password, it will then download the profiles that are specific to you, and then you can choose which profile you want.

What is happening is that you are seeing the basic connection profile which should be available to everyone to find the controller. After someone logs in, they should then be able to see what is available to them and then connect. The way you have it configured assumes that multiple different people will be connecting with the same Windows login. You can enable the connection profile on the controller to allow saving of passwords and automatically use windows username and passwords to automate this process if you know that only a single user will be connecting per Windows Session.

Colin Joseph

Yeah that don't happen.

If I clear the profile and then login I get the IT Profile once I connected and disconnected and exit VIA on next load it comes up with the server name I click ok and then it uses the default profile and I can't change to the IT one. Its driving me mad.
Guru Elite

The VIA connection profiles that are downloaded are defined by the role that a user gets when he puts in his username and password. If you have a server derivation rule that puts a user in a role when he connects with VIA, the role he gets determines his VIA connection profile which determines what profiles are available to him AFTER he authenticates. Does the ROLE that an IT person have contain the VIA connection profile of IT?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: