Remote Networking

Occasional Contributor II

Verizon/Pantech UML 290

Has anyone gotten a Pantech UML290 USB modem to work with Aruba? Been playing around with it, but haven't gotten much in the way of progress to show up. It doesn't see the device serial, which I'm guessing is a bad sign...

(Aruba) # show ap debug usb ap-name TESTRAP5

USB Information
---------------
Parameter Value
--------- -----
Manufacturer Pantech,
Product PANTECH
Serial Number
Driver (none)
Vendor ID 106c
Product ID 3718
Guru Elite

Re: Verizon/Pantech UML 290

It is not currently supported, even in 3g mode due to the difference in the way that it dials. Please stay tuned.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Strange That Aruba is So Behind the Curve on 4G...

this is a major concern for network engineers who are finding themselves stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place because many enterprises are moving away from 3G modems to 4G because client laptops "will" work off of the modems, but the RAPs do not. This is difficult because I now have to convince corporate to hold on to the legacy leases for the modems because ARUBA isn't making any documented strides toward the technologies already in production. Its creating an impossible situation for me to advocate additional acquisition of Aruba gear if it can't inter-op with existing service provider technlogies.

I don't mean to sound cynical in regard to Aruba but maybe they should devote more time toward a resolve for this niche of their industry instead of spending so much time on their cutting edge advancements such as INSTANT APs.

Can you provide any detail on progress from Aruba's perspective?
Aruba Employee

Bruce, please see the other thread that you opened on this regarding 4G. I'm typing up a response for you.
New Contributor

Where is the answer to this question?

I have a dozen RAP-5's that I want to deploy using Verizon UML 290 4G USB devices. What is the status on supporting this device?
Guru Elite

Those modems are certainly being tested. If you want more information, you could contact your local Aruba sales team and maybe they can give you an idea when, OR they might be running a beta that you can participate in...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Heard Through the SE Grapevine...

That Aruba has plans of going live with 4G capability on the RAP units this upcoming January. Its already well into beta testing (with success) using the UML-290 and was initially scheduled for release this month, but some instability required postponing it for another 90 days to work out these minor glitches.
I'm stoked about this because I work for GOV and all our contracted wireless ISPs have discontinued leasing the older 3G modems and are forcing agency subscribers over to the 4G modems. That's government for you!

You better be prepared to ramp up to 6.0 OS in order to use this. That was a mentioned criteria when discussing this with my SE.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: