Security, WIDS/WIPS and Aruba ECS

New Contributor

"Connectify" sofware on Windows 7

There's a new software out for Windows 7 that allows the user to run a wireless hotspot/AP on the same wireless card that they use to connect with.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181046/Unfinished_Windows_7_Feature_Turns_Laptops_Into_Wi_Fi_Hotspots.html?tk=rss_news

If we did have Windows 7 users that could install their own software they could essentially connect to our secured corporate wireless and share this connection with unauthorized devices/users.

Is there any way to defeat this other than removing software install rights on the local pc? Looking for a way to do it on the controller if possible.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: "Connectify" sofware on Windows 7

No, and what's even scarier is I can't get the Aruba's to do a DoS on the hotspot either, even when I set my APs to airmonitor mode and try to disable the hotspot!

If you have Aruba ECS or another NAC you should be able to block the registry key of "connectify".
Guru Elite

IDS Features

There's a new software out for Windows 7 that allows the user to run a wireless hotspot/AP on the same wireless card that they use to connect with.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181046/Unfinished_Windows_7_Feature_Turns_Laptops_Into_Wi_Fi_Hotspots.html?tk=rss_news

If we did have Windows 7 users that could install their own software they could essentially connect to our secured corporate wireless and share this connection with unauthorized devices/users.

Is there any way to defeat this other than removing software install rights on the local pc? Looking for a way to do it on the controller if possible.

There are a number of flexible IDS features that are available to you, if you have the IDS license. With just the base license, you can disable that AP or if you don't expect any other neighboring APs, you can mark all interfering APs as rogue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Maybe I'm doing something wrong Colin, but I can't get either of those options to work on this issue. They work fine on any other rogue AP though.
New Contributor

We have the IDS license. We are unable to succesfully block users from associating. We have tried to set this SSID as a Rogue and disable it. We also tried to setup a dedicated AM right near the offending SSID.

It will not show up as a Rouge automatically and alert you because there is no "wired" side connection.....

So if a user was to use a random SSID you would never know it was a hotspot on your network.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: