Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 02:24 AM

Dear Concerned,

I am getting an error though using the 802.1X authentication.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

• 2.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 02:41 AM
    It means the correct auth type is not setup on the user, wireless or CPPM.

Please review the guide and see what setting you have incorrect

http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=10345

• 3.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 02:45 AM

• 4.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 03:26 AM

On controller i selected EAP-PEAP and same on the CPPM. but still it giving the error (Cannot select appropriate authentication method).

• 5.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 03:30 AM
    Check your client. It might be trying a different type

• 6.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 03:32 AM

No. Client is also using the the authentication mechanism 802.1X & microsoft protected EAP(PEAP).

When it trying to connect to the SSID, a message appera with a two options, terminate and connect.

• 7.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 03:42 AM
    Then you need to post screen shots of you entire service, controller settings and the client settings. One of them is set up incorrectly.

The error you are seeing usually means the client is trying to auth with a method that is not set up in CPPM.

• 8.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:00 AM

Please find the attached snapshots.

Controller Settings.jpgService.jpgCONNECTING.jpgLocal User.jpg

• 9.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:06 AM
    Is there a reason why you are terminating on the controller? You need to post each of the tabs of the service. Just showing the name does no good. I need to see how it was setup

• 10.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:10 AM

I am not terminating it on the controller. just created the AAA profile with 8021.X authentication enabled on controller. Moreover i also setup the CCPM, but unable to found the problem.

can you take the remote access of the my laptop, so you can easily view each and everything.

• 11.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:14 AM
    Your screen shot above show you have termination enabled on the controller.... You need to uncheck it and all the fields below it.

I also need to see what setting you have on the SSID profile on the controller. It should be WPA2

• 12.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:19 AM

ok i disabled it on controller and now getting the authentication method. and in the alert tab found a new erroe.

EAP-PEAP: fatal alert by client - unknown_caeap-tls: Error in establishing TLS session

• 13.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 04:27 AM
    It means that on your client you have validate server cert enabled and the client doesn't have cppms cert in its cert store. You need to either manually import the cert in to the client or uncheck that setting. That is why I asked for screen shots of all the clients settings not just the popup.

This post has a few slides on how the clients settings should look. You also need to make sure PEAP method is at the top of the list in the service. That is why I also asked for screen shots of those settings.

I'm trying to make it easier on both of us by asking for all the information and screenshots up front so we don't have to keep going back and forth and asking for information more than once.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Software-User-Reference-Guides/AOS-and-CPPM-Dot1x-Authentication-and-integration/ta-p/204437

• 14.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 05:20 AM

PEAP method is on the TOP of the list in the service. Which certificate we have to import ?

• 15.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2014 05:30 AM
    CPPM radius cert. you need to make sure it is in the correct store.

http://www.eduroam.ie/userdocs/win7-peap.php

• 16.  RE: 802.1X Authentication Error. Authentication method error.

Posted Oct 23, 2014 05:47 AM

how to get that certificate ?

EAP-PEAP: fatal alert by client - unknown_ca
    eap-tls: Error in establishing TLS session

However authentication method EAP PEAP is assigned to the user and also authentication source is local host.

Please find the attached snapshots.

230.jpg