Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1X machine authentication issue

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  802.1X machine authentication issue

Posted Nov 28, 2014 05:10 AM

Dear all,

il my network i have two ssid

1.- ssid : employees

-machine authtication + user authentication

2.- ssid : directors

- user autentication only.

the authentication of the first ssid is perfect

And I'm using only one NPS server for the two, the problem is that users from employee group with only "machine authentication" can access to the directors SSID , and they get the 802.1X authenticated role.

how can i do to fix that

• 2.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2014 06:38 AM

Unfortunately,

NPS does not understand when a device has both machine + user authenticated successfully.  You cannot enforce that state with NPS.

You have two choices:

1.  Use a different server like ClearPass Policy Manager that keep track of the user + machine authentication status

2.  Use "Enforce Machine Authentication" in the 802.1x profile of the Aruba Controller.  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-machine-authentication-work-on-the-Aruba-controller/ta-p/183440

• 3.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

Posted Nov 29, 2014 11:48 AM

First thank you for the answer.

but my problem is with the second profile, the first profile do both authentication (user and machine) and it work perfectly , but for the second i want to use user authentication only, but when I connect to this profile (second) it do machine authentication what is and the user get 802.1X authenticated role and it is innormal .

• 4.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2014 12:01 PM
    The client controls what type of authentication is attempted. If you only want a client to do user authentication, you need to configure that on the client.

• 5.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

Posted Dec 06, 2014 04:17 AM

the probleme is not in aruba controller,but in  windows , because windows take the only the first authentication , so to do both authentication , you have to change manualy authentication from user authentication to machine authentication and vice-versa.

thank you for you help

• 6.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2014 10:17 AM
    Yes. This is by design. If you are using machine authentication then device is joined the domain so the expectation is that you will use group policy to configure the network settings to use both machine and user.

• 7.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

Posted Dec 06, 2014 12:57 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    Yes. This is by design. If you are using machine authentication then device is joined the domain so the expectation is that you will use group policy to configure the network settings to use both machine and user.

in windows there is 4 choises

user or machine authentication

user authentication

machine authentication

guest authntication

and we have tray all of them

if you have any tutorial or how to please give it to me

• 8.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2014 04:39 PM
    For AD-joined devices., you would use user + machine.

• 9.  RE: 802.1X machine authentication issue

Posted Dec 16, 2014 04:48 AM

rchahboune

If you select the "User or Machine authentication" this will be the login process for AD machines when configured as suggested above:

Windows boots into windows = "Machine Authenticated"

User then successfully logs in with his AD username/password = State moves to "User Authenticated"

With "Enforce Machine Authentication" on the Aruba Controller you will then land in the 802.1x default role for the AAA profile.

If just one of the authentications is successful, the role according to the .1x will trigger.

Check out page 251-253 of 6.4 User Guide.